Monday, April 23, 2018

April Delights

April is marching on. At last we are having normal temperatures. It has been raining this morning. After all the flooding earlier this rain was much appreciated. 
 The rain brought on some more double narcissus that go well with pale blue Muscari.
 The Hinoki cypress is the variety that gets golden edges with new growth and lots of sun. We haven't had lots of sun lately so it isn't quite as golden and I think it is just starting a bit of growth with this warmer weather. 
 I thought to plant some bright yellow tulips around the cypress to bring out the yellow highlights on the HC. You can see the beginning of my vision coming together. I can look out the patio doors and see these brilliant yellow tulips blooming. 
I can see that I need more early color out this way.
Looking across the patio to the other side of the garden you can see the Serviceberry is in full bloom.
Oh, look at the left side of that bird house.
A robin is making a nest.
I can watch her right out the kitchen door. She is way too close to the house but I am not complaining as long as the squirrels and House Sparrows allow her to stay there. Not to mention us going in and out of the door many times daily. 
The conditions were just right for her to bring mud to shore up the inside of the nest. She would bring a bill full put it into the nest then sit on it.
Then she would turn this way and that way. 
Then she would press down with all her might. 
She would swizzle down deep then push with her wings to get it just so. 

She studied her nest intently. 
Only stopping briefly to rest upon her creation to see if it felt quite right. I even like seeing the undertail coverts. I don't see them very often.
Hopefully our activity won't be a bother to her. I have made Annie use the patio doors all day. It is warm enough and the bugs are bad yet so I can leave it open wide enough she can come and go on her own. I am not the only one that loves this weather. 



24 comments:

  1. How fun to be able to watch such construction. Also, have you made service berry jelly? I call it a “meaty berry” as they are dryer than say a raspberry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. I have never even thought of such a thing. The birds normally get all the berries before I can even get a picture of them.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing how she actually makes the nest. Even more work than I imagined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She worked steady all morning and then took a break this afternoon. Then during the evening she worked awhile longer. I hope she finishes and has a successful nesting here.

      Delete
  3. Oh, look at that Serviceberry! It looks so pretty next to the birdhouse, and now a live robin and nest there, too! I can see why she picked that beautiful spot for her nest! Your stonework and landscaping are impressive. You're a pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Serviceberry. I can't imagine why it isn't used in the landscape instead of the horrid Callary Pears. It is prettier than the pear trees to me.

      Delete
  4. I love the yellow tulips....what a lovely splash of colour now the weather has changed.
    I love the idea it will bring out the yellow edges of the cypress.

    How lovely to have the Robins nest so close.
    lets hope all goes well with her brood this year.
    Our Robins seem to like human company. Are yours the same??

    Glad the weather has improved your end.
    I hope it lasts for a while so you can tend and nurture your pretty garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that if the Robin gets her nest made and eggs laid she will tolerate us as the nesting season goes on. I wouldn't say that our Robins "like" our company but have learned to tolerate our company. I can be working in the garden and a robin will come near poking around for worms etc. They steer clear of any movement.

    Gosh, the weather is so much better. Still seems a bit too cool at night. I know the house plants probably think I lost my mind when I put them out but I think they will do alright outside. It is only going to be get warmer now...I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it must be wonderful to be able to see all this avian activity. Hope she decides to stay so you can watch her hatch and raise her young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun! If she does stay I will keep everyone updated.

      Delete
  7. Great capture of that bird in the nest and what beautiful garden!

    Happy Week to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely April delights! Love them all!

    Happy Week to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those pictures of the Robin in her nest! Also the yellow blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos of the robin in her nest! I have seen lots of bird activity in the yard this past week. They should find plenty of nesting material since I've been a little sloppy in carting off debris from my garden:) My tulips are just now opening up--I think it finally feels like spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, a nest so close to the house is a bonus! I hear birds hiding and seeking for things, but a little later I can locate the nest. It is never exposed like the one in your garden. Hopefully it all works out for the best. Groetjes Hetty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Lisa,
    it must be lovely for you when coming outside the house - being surrounded by nature and pretty blooms. Thinking back, I remember how nice it has been when I was living in my former flat with a small garden. From my living room I could see my garden and taking just a few steps, I was in my garden, enjoying bird song and blooms. I love my new flat with three terraces as well as loving my new garden which is just a three minutes walk from the flat, but it is a different feeling. All winter long I haven´t missed my old garden, but having been to a friends house last week (sitting in the living room with the doors to the garden open), I became a bit nostalgic. I remembered that lovely feeling of sitting in your living room with the doors open, hearing the birds sing. Sitting in my living room and having the terrace doors open in my new flat is a nice feeling too, but still, it´s not the same. Planting your tulips in an area from where you can enjoy them also from insides is a great idea! Have a lovely week!
    Best wishes,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photo with the blooming Serviceberry and the birdbath is so atmospheric of spring time. Everything fresh and new.

    Sweet Robin, I wish her success!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Lisa what a great post...love your robin - you captured some great photos of her and the nest. Love your bright yellow tulips.
    Thanks too for stopping to visit me as well. Hope you have a lovely day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed seeing the robin work on her nest! (Not to speak of your lovely spring blooms!) I think there's a pair of scrub jays nesting in the hedge at the rear of my back slope but just my appearance on the slope seems to annoy them so I haven't mounted a search for the nest itself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love robin, Lisa but I've never seen how they make their nests. It's interestingly! Your daffodils and muscari are pretty.
    Thank for sharing your photos with us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy spring! What a pleasure to watch mama Robin building her nest! We had Bluebirds, Eastern Phoebes, and Cardinals close to the house, but all the babies have fledged by now, and summer is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Lisa, good start to the month of May.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...