Sunday, June 24, 2018

Happy Birthday Month

According the government I am officially a Senior. I never would have thought while growing up during the times where we weren't supposed to trust anyone over 30 that I would ever make it to this age. 
I woke on my birthday and looked out to see that we had a light rain coming down and a bright yellow daylily 'Tetrina's Daughter' peeking at me around this begonia.
 
Speaking of daughters, our darling daughter came to visit with a 'Highlights' Arborvitae and a miniature hosta'Church Mouse' both of which were on my wish list. We also were treated to a lovely lunch out. 
The next morning in the drizzle my Dearly Beloved planted the Arborvitae for me.
It is replacing a rather large hydrangea that we took out in this spot. The hydrangea didn't ever bloom and I wanted something that will eventually block the view into my neighbors garden and my compost pile. 
 If you look through this arch you can see where the path takes you around to the gate where you can enter the neighbors garden. Our neighbor removed a small shed that really opened up their back garden to us. My hermit tendencies lead me to enclose the garden. 
This is how it looks from the neighbors view over the fence. Did you notice that big mushroom  like water trough beside the gazebo? More on that another time.
Yet another morning I found my Dearly Beloved in the floor with a splayed out project. 
Annie was right there with him making sure he gets it right. 

What he put together was another item that has been on my wish list. A nice new garden bench.  It is aluminum so I won't have to worry about rust or peeling paint (I hope).
Below is the dilapidated bench that is being replaced. It sits in front of our barn. I often pause here to rest or set items here before moving on. This was taken last month when the Viburnum and Chocolate Chips Ajuga was blooming
It is sort of a more quiet look now.  I also moved some plants out from behind where the old bench sat. I also added some 'Christmas' Ferns Polystichum acrostichoides since the hostas on either side of the bench are 'Christmas Tree'  Hosta. Now all I have to do is get some more mulch to cover the bricks that the bench is sitting on. Those feet on the new bench are so pointy they sink down into the mulch. 
My birthday Month, I mean DAY, has been filled with many blessings. I hope your June has been as good or better. 

24 comments:

  1. Looks like a perfect day. All the gifts from your wish list suggest I need a formal list. Makes it much easier to find the right thing for this picky gardener. Our bench has flat feet but still needed bricks to make it rest evenly. Love all the curves on your bench and it looks comfy, too. Be sure to sit down and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I keep a running list. People seem to like it better than just guessing. It is difficult to buy something that will be appreciated for someone that is so blessed. :)

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm not far behind you on achieving that milestone. It's a bit of a shock, isn't it? In any case, you were well fΓͺted! I give my husband a couple of ideas in advance of gift-giving occasions too - it saves money in the long term ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is rather shocking when you take time to think about it. I am good at ignoring the age factor.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday πŸŽ‰πŸ’πŸŽ‚. What gifts! Love your new bench. It looks "classier" - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!
    You're awfully busy for someone who should be celebrating a milestone. Try to pace yourself for the next few weeks. I'm also one who likes to spread the celebration out over a few weeks, it makes it so much less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Don't worry I am good at celebrating. I have had a lot of experience. :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! Welcome to senior living! I like your new bench. I have a bench in the front garden that is aluminum, and it has held up very well. I put the bench's feet on thick pavers sunk into the mulch, then covered the pavers themselves with a thin layer of mulch. No more sinking and pavers are not visible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I am glad to hear that the aluminum will hold up.

      Delete
  6. Lisa,
    Happy belated birthday wishes my dear friend.
    A day full of lovely surprises and you deserve each and everyone.

    Plants, a bench, lunch out, what more could a girl ask for.

    You look lovely under you parasol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. It was raining when Gary was planting the shrub. I hope it does well. It is raining a little bit now. We need it because it is supposed to go back to the 90 degree days. UGh...

      Delete
  7. Daughters bearing plants - that really is a blessing. Especially when they take you out to lunch also. And that's a very classy new bench you've got! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a loving husband and family you have ~ including that sweet doggie ~ love the bench and new tree ~ Happy Birthday to you ~ xxx

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carol. Have a great rest of the week.

      Delete
  9. HAPPY (if belated ? LOL) Birthday to YOU ! .. and it appears that you have scored some very nice birthday presents too !
    That bench is gorgeous, and no worries for upkeep which makes it perfect. Funny how our furries want to make sure we are putting things together correctly eh ? haha. I have a couple of Xmas ferns and really like them .. but you have a whole Xmas theme going on there .. such a nice vignette to rest at. I understand your hermit tendencies completely (thus my 8ft fence in the back garden ? haha) That arborvitae is a beauty .. you make me want one or two as well girl, haha .. they have such a nice shape and form. I used to do bronze fennel a lot but now I rely on dill more .. I worry about the poor cat making it through to end stage as well .. we have so many birds in our back garden (a refuge for them really) .. but nature is what it is right ? Fingers crossed.
    You have such a wonderful design to your garden Lisa ... it is relaxing just to look at the pictures.
    Well done you senior citizen you ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. We do garden for nature as well as ourselves. We have to let nature take it's course.

      Delete
  10. Glad you like the schooner photo ~ thanks! Wondering where you got your beautiful archway?

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated Happy Birthday!

    I love arborvitaes--there was one at my childhood home my Mom & Dad planted before I was born. Eventually it will be not only a privacy screen but also a beautiful focal point for that place in your garden.

    Nice new bench, and funny to watch Annie supervise Dearly Beloved as he put it together. By the look on her face, what she really wanted was a tummy rub.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy late birthday dear Lisa!!! Sorry I missed it! It looked like a wonderful day! Your new bush and bench are beautiful additions to your lovely garden! You, by the way, look wonderful, and you must be a few years younger than me! I am turning 62 in October! So nice to see you. I came to my blog (I did not post), but am visiting a few folks to see what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations with your birthday! Enjoy being a senior citizens. Maybe it has many advantages. The bench is a bonus to your garden. It looks old although it is new. Now and again you can take a break and reflect all you thoughts. Groetjes Hetty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your doggies and hope your birthday was wonderful!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Lisa,
    belated happy birthday! You´ve got some great presents for your garden! I am sure you will enjoy them a lot! My birthday was in July and I too got some presents for my garden. Two hydrangeas and a compost pile.
    Enjoy your garden!
    Best wishes,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...