Friday, October 18, 2019

Book Review - Emily Dickinson's Gardening Life

I will say this first, I like Emily Dickinson's poetry. I think even if you didn't like her poetry and you are a gardener you would like this book. One reason is because the way the author, Marta McDowell, presented the poetry that goes with the information about Emily's gardening. 
Marta being a gardener seemed to know how to express so many things that all gardeners love about gardening. Marta includes stories about Emilys gardening  and shows how her poems reflect her thoughts about gardenings ups and downs. 
I think this book would give you a weekend full of entertainment and maybe even some enlightenment about Emily and gardens in general.
I just happened upon this book through Timber Press. They didn't send me this book to review or anything of that nature. I was just so pleased with it I wanted to share it with you.
Have a great weekend.

15 comments:

  1. Even though I know nature factored into Dickinson's poetry, I didn't realize she was a gardener herself. I'll have to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love poetry and this looks like a wonderful book! Thanks ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lisa,
    thank you so much for your lovely visit and for introducing this book. Love to read about women and their gardens.
    Happy days and all my best from Austria
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I just ordered some copies for the HPSO book sale next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are having a lovely Weekend ~ thanks for the visit and comments ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have me intrigued Lisa ... I may have to get this !
    I usually download onto my E-reader .. but I may want a hard copy of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont know why I love coming here. I dont garden. Have no interest in doing it. But love the results, as long as it's someone elses. Yours, I guess. Always pleasant to visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa - thank you for the tip - this looks like my kind of reading - especially on a cold winter's night after the holidays. Take care - Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like ED's poems very much. By the subject matter I knew she was a gardener. Her observations of bees and the outdoors are what a gardener would notice and love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to see you 'here' ~ thanks for visit and comments ~ ^_^

    Happy Day To You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you enjoyed Emerson's words ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recommendation. I am a reading addict, and I am always looking for a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you a wonderful week and thanks for visiting ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't really know her work very much. I should read more, and read this book. Thank you for mentioning it. It sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...