Thursday, February 6, 2020

Travel Thursday - Costa Rica

Since it has turned cold and snowy again my mind started traveling to warmer climes. I went back to this past March when my husband, aka DB, and I went to Costa Rica.  Since we were meeting a birding tour group we arrived a day early to make sure we got there without a hitch. Our flight there was smooth and we had most of one day just to stroll the gardens where we were staying,  the Hotel Bougainvillea
This post is picture heavy but I won't have a lot of commentary on them because I don't know what most of these plants are. I promise I won't load up on the bird pictures. The above will be the only bird picture I will post...this time. 
The above is the view from our hotel room balcony. There was bougainvilleas dotted all over the grounds. 
The Hotel Bougainvillea is situated on 11 acres. All that isn't hotel is garden. I can tell you I was a bit overwhelmed with all the tropical plants. I felt like I stepped into a different world.
It was a breeze getting around the grounds. They had paved walkways through out. 
I don't know what this huge plant is but they used it extensively through out the garden. I am 5'6" tall so you can about guess this main plant is 10' tall.
This colorful planting was all the way around the parking lot.

Orchids and Bromelaids in trees.
Bromeliads were used as ground covers and there were so many varieties it was mind boggling.
Air plants were all over too. 
This ground cover was pretty with its pretty little yellow blooms. 
There was also a yellow and green bamboo that I thought was very pretty. I think it is Bambusa vulgaris. 
This Fox Tail Agave A. attenuata was taller than I. 
If you look closely at this picture you can see that  is used Amaryllis as a ground cover. I think I have seen this variety on someones post before. 
No it wasn't all birds and blooms. This sweet little baby Variegated  Squirrel ran up DBs pant leg and wouldn't get down.
He tried to ignore the little thing, taking pictures and walking along but it didn't want to be left behind. I felt so sorry for the little fellow. It was obviously distressed and didn't want to be alone. Once DB got him off it still followed us around and around. 
I could go on and on but I will leave you with this sight. Plants growing on top of this building. I don't know if they are in pots or just started growing there. They were quite a surprise. 
If you know what any of these plants are or if I miss identified some let me know. I took the names of the plants off of id plates but I didn't know if it was for the plant it was beside or if it was current. I think if you click on the pictures they will enlarge and be more clear.

29 comments:

  1. Oh my Lisa - the photos were extraordinary and I especially loved seeing the squirrel...what a cutie. Costa Rica looks like such a lush country to visit. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post for a wet, dark winter day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, my thoughts went back to where the sun always shines.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That must have been an amazing adventure of a vacation.

    Looks like a beautiful garden for a hotel. The giant plant you were standing in front of may be Alcantarea imperialis. Magnificent! I got three of them (hybrids) for my garden, but the won't get Costa Rica sized, that is certain.

    Enjoyed your photos very much. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite the adventure. Hiked a lot of miles for this old girl. My eyes kept going to the plants instead of the birds. I kept noticing the plants we call house plants growing in the wild.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous scenery - and I enjoyed the squirrel story. I was there once decades ago but only for a day excursion off a cruise ship. Hawaii has a similar impact on my senses, although since my husband's problem with vertigo started, I haven't been there in 10 years either. We're not nearly as cold as you are (no snow here!) but it's cold again here this week and I wouldn't mind a little time in a tropical paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gorgeous. Mountains and beaches what ever you prefer.

      Delete
  5. Wow, it looks like an amazing trip. It would be fun to go to a climate like that this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ongelofelijk wat een rijkdom aan planten en het zal ook een lekkere temperatuur geweest zijn. Nog even geduld en we krijgen het ook weer warm.
    Gr Jan(Wilde een Tuin)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Lisa girl and wow ! This really is another world isn't it ?
    I love seeing all these pictures to remind me how incredibly diverse this beautiful planet is. I can't get over that sweet little squirrel so in need of your company .. I hope he was alright, maybe he was used to being fed by guests ?
    Thanks so much for your advice with the tulip bulbs .. I am going to find just the right place and plant them .. they really were such a pretty, soft, yellow I couldn't throw them out ! I am in love with frogs too .. as a kid I fell head over heels for them and their "music" . I play meditation music when I do yoga and it involves crickets/frogs .. so peaceful !!
    PS .. Husband used to take trips to Cuba and he would tell me all about the plants, birds and sea life .. all amazing ;-)
    Roll on SPRING !!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had no fear of people but no one was feeding it that I saw. It was just lost from his Mom. I worried about it.

      Delete
  8. What a trip you had ~ Gorgeous floral macro shots ~ a bit of Spring ~ delightful! And what a squirrel experience ~

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one of those things one never forgets. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful walk through a pretty garden. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you a lovely weekend ^_^ ~ thanks for your comments ^_^

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice change from the snow and cold. There's still time to book another March trip lol
    I sometimes look at gardens like this and wonder what I could possibly plant that would do credit to the climate. There are so many choices and I'd never be able to make up my mind... or just end up planting dozens of palms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a different world Frank. You would have to relearn plants and what they need.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for your visit and comments ~ glad you enjoyed the 'shadow' shot ^_^

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa, you were lucky to see this place of paradise. I think the plants we call indoor plants live and grow there as ground covers or backgrounds ones. I love your photos, they remind me that warm days will come. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so jealous! Visiting Costa Rica has been a dream of mine for years. Wonderful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you enjoyed our sky shot ~

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to have you visit and great comments ~ ^_^

    Happy Valentine's Day,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can only imagine how wonderful that was. We went to Hawaii many years ago (31?), and it was just like that. I think the pink plant after the giant plant was shrimp plant, but it's hard to tell. In Oklahoma, we grow a lot of tropicals in summer for color. Shrimp plant is one of those. There is a yellow variety too. I may be wrong though.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you are having a delightful weekend ~ thanks for your comments on my blog ~ always lovely to 'see you.'

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Obviously I need to get myself to Costa Rica!

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...