Friday, March 28, 2008

Tiptoe through the tulips

When we got to the city park this morning for our walk about I thought things were going to be the same ole thing...water water everywhere.... At least I knew we weren't going to sit around and enjoy the view much...





When we walked to the other end of the park we were pleasantly surprised when we found that this magnolia was beginning to bloom. Was it ever a sight for sore eyes. You can just imagine my delight when I saw this pinkish bloom in the gloom. It had lots of these buds just waiting for the sun to coax them into bloom. Aren't these just beautiful? They almost look like a rose ready to unfurl.

I wasn't totally surpised that I found something blooming at the park becasue when we departed from home I saw that there were some tulips up with buds just waiting to be coaxed open with some sunshine.



What I was surprised with was when we arrived home from the park we had tulips open. Whooooo Hoooooo Now this looks like spring time. All we need is a little more sunshine. The sun decided to grace us with its presence for a few hours this afternoon. A most welcome sensation. It is amazing how a little sunshine can raise the spirits and open the blooms. Don't you just love to look down on those little tulips and see them open wide. All we need now are some bees buzzing around. These are our first tulips blooming this spring. They seem to get shorter every year but I don't have the heart to pull them out. They are so cheerful.




22 comments:

  1. what a delightful stroll I've enjoyed with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tulips! I'm sure that was a sight for sore eyes after all the rain we've had.

    And the best news for me is that mine will be blooming soon too! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh such gorgous flowers!! wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. The magnolia is exquisite and your photography does them justice. Unfortunately most of the magnolia locally was hit by frost leaving the blooms tinged brown. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blooms in gloom, love it. How exciting to have tulips, it seems like you have skipped ahead of us, ours are not open yet! Good for you.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, what a gorgeous site. Tulips in bloom! And that Magnolia!! I hope that means in about 10 days, I'll have blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you could join me Diane. It seems everyone was up late friday night. :)

    Yes Robin, when you get some sunshine I bet your tulips will pop.

    Thanks Teri.

    Hi Cheryl. Often our magnolias get the frost treatment too. Hopefully spring is coming along so slowly that this year our magnolia won't get zapped.

    Hey Frances, "Blooms and Gloom" that should have been the title of this post. I liked the tulips though. It won't be long and you will have them too.

    Yes Beckie, I am about a week behind Tena's blooms and you are about 10days or so behind me in blooms. It won't be long...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am jealous, tulips and magnolias!

    We are still waiting. A little green has popped up through the soil but that is all!

    beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so nice to see spring again. Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to think that planting spring bulbs was not rewarding as they come up and then they are gone, but boy are they the harbingers for tired, cold spirits which have endured the winter. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cant' wait until I have colors other than brown and white in my plot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos of the magnolias. We had one at our old house, and I miss it. The only problem was that every other year, it seemed, it would be hit by an early frost and the blooms would turn brown. But the years when it did bloom, it was a showstopper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your flowers and if you are tip toeing around . . . your feet must be getting wet with all that water!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your tulips! You're right, Spring is officially there at your house now. And how fast they move now that they are really ready. And the magnolia bloom is lovely. There are so many different varieties and they all look so unique. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa,

    I just noticed tulips in bloom here, too! Just two days ago...

    We had lots of sun last week but now we're under heavy clouds and very cold. March is going out like a lion.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so exciting to see all those colours returning to the gardens and backyards! Your pics are great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope all the water has gone by now! The magnolia is wonderful, a hopeful sign after the rain. Spring ist indeed on its way, the lovely tulips are proof of it! Wishing you sunny days and a wonderful weekend!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Lisa,
    So bright and cheerful on a cloudy, gray day! Watching the tulips open is exciting. The magnolia is like a rose just waiting to open. Very pretty. I am waiting. I also enjoyed seeing your Daffodils. Mine are just starting to open too. No tulips open yet!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! Thanks!

    (red tulips are one of those flowers that pull at my heartstrings....)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love tulips! Such a welcome to come home too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful tulips! Spring is trying its best to proceed despite getting no cooperation from the sun.

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...