Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Garden Blogger's Muse Day



Happy Autumn, Happy October. It is the first of the month once again which means it is time for Garden Blogger's Muse Day. Carolyn at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago has started the muse of posting a poem on the first of the month. You can go to her blog here to see all who participate in this muse.


My choice of poem this month is from Mary Oliver's book Blue Iris. Not only is her poem appropriate for October the entire book is great. I hope you enjoy it.





October


1


There's this shape, black as the entrance to a cave.

A longing wells up in its throat

like a blossom

as it breathes slowly.


What does the world

mean to you if you can't trust it

to go on shining when you're


not there? And there's

a tree, long-fallen; once

of messengers, and filled it

with honey.


2

I said to the chickadee, singing his heart out in the

green pine tree:


little dazzler,

little song,

Little mouthful.


3

The shape climbs up out of the curled grass. It

grunts into view. There is no measure

for the confidence at the bottom of its eyes-

there is not telling

the suppleness of its shoulders as it turns

and yawns.


Near the fallen tree

Something-a leaf snapped loose

from the branch and fluttering down-tries to pull me

into its trap of attention.


4


It pulls me

into its trap of attention.


And when I turn again, the bear is gone.


5

Look, hasn't my body already felt

like the body of a flower?


6

Look, I wanted to love the world

as though it's the last chance I'm ever going to get

to bve alive

and know it.


7

Sometimes in late summer I won't touch anything, not

the flowers, not the blackberries

brimming in the thickets; I won't drink

from the pond; I won't name the birds or the trees;

I won't whisper my own name.


One morning

the fox came down the hill, glittering and confident,

and didn't see me- and I thought;


so this is the world.

I'mnot in it.

It is beautiful.

12 comments:

  1. Hi there Lisa and a Happy October to you too :-D

    What a lovely idea to start the month. You must have fun choosing your poem. This one is quite lovely.

    It is a very simple verse that I think of on the 1st of October - Happy Birthday. Time has flown by and my eldest daughter will be 18 this month :-D

    Have a great month :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great poem, Lisa. Thanks so much for celebrating Muse Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. October is starting out cold here, temps in the 40's. Your poem was a nice start to my Wednesday.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, a beautiful poem, Lisa. A great reminder to appreciate the beauties of nature and the importance of maintaining it. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It IS a beautiful poem! Thank you for introducing her to me,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem captures the mood of October, wistful and slightly melancholic. It's the big splash before the descent into the bleak time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, What a fantastic poet and beautiful poem. I love this line "What does the world
    mean to you if you can't trust it
    to go on shining when you're

    not there?" It really makes you think! Thank you Lisa for a wonderful poem this morning,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa...that was a joy to read, in fact it was so beautiful I read it twice......a fabulous choice.....

    I love October......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Lisa,
    Happy October.
    This was a very lovely poem to read.
    I almost think I should go back and read it out loud.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy October, Lisa!

    Stunning post. My favorite:

    "I said to the chickadee, singing his heart out in the


    green pine tree:




    little dazzler,


    little song,


    Little mouthful."

    I LOVED THAT!

    Thanks, Lisa. I needed a smile tonight :o)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. You picked such a lovely poem to kick off October with. Hope you have a good one this year with lots of sunshine and autumn colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa, Mary Oliver is the best, IMHO. Her words are like stars in the sky. Thanks for giving us that.

    Frances
    http://fairegarden.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...