Saturday, December 6, 2008

Garden Bloggers First Snow

Whoooo Hoooo, we had our first snow this morning. I looked out the front window this morning and sure enough there was a nice dusting of snow on the ground.
I went to the back door to let Luna out and it was still snowing. Whoo hoooo.... I just love the first snow.As soon as we could get ourselves moving we headed out to the park for a walk. The only thing better than walking in a warm rain is walking during a winter snow. Someone asked me once how I could find Luna in the snow. If you notice in these photos, she has a lot of yellow in her coat. You don't notice it until she is standing in snow. That is how you find polar bears in their snowy environment. You look for big yellow blobs instead of white on white. As you can see at the entrance of the park, they have a display of holiday lights now. The nice thing about this is that there is rarely any traffic here during the holidays except after dark. We have the park mostly to ourselves.
The lighted carousel below is one that looks good even during the day. It is big and colorful.

Around on the back side of the drive there is a sign that is most intrigueing. When it appears that there is nothing here you are directed to look up at night with lights.
High up in the tree above this sign is a lot of mistletoe. I wonder who thought up this display??
I hope you all are having a great weekend. If you like snow you can go over to Nancy's blog and see whose blog to look at for other first snows. There are some really beautiful heavy snows to see.

22 comments:

  1. I agree the first snow is beautiful. It's the other 99 inches that are not.

    Beautiful scenes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got our first "stay -on-the-ground" snow last night too. Iy was pretty coming down - a great snow show. Now it needs to be shoveled. Not so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, It sounds like you had a special day - and I had a special day too. My first blog anniversary and you were one of my very first visitors, giving me lots of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got some snow ... to set you in such a jovial mood. Here, everything is coated in ice. I wish it would warm up enough so it would melt off of the poor trees. Now they say it is to snow tonight. The snow on top of the ice ... oh the weight of it ... poor trees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, A beautiful day in the snow. L looks like she's looking back at you and wondering to herself, "Why are we slowing down?" Enjoy your first snow! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa I can feel your happy energy having had your 1st snowfall!
    Luna seems to be enjoying it too..she looks like she belongs in the snow..lots of fur to keep her warm!
    Good for you that you got your first snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya-hoo! I know you've been waiting for this. That will help with the holiday spirit. Luna looks like she is having a great time. have you been to see the lights after dark? They look like such fun. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No snow around here, so, for me, it's all imagination with the help of your pictures and posts!
    GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! Our first real snow fell last night. Can't wait for a bit of daylight so I can get out there with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos of Luna in the snow! :c) Only a few flurries here so far, though a really good snow is not likely to happen here. I'll enjoy your views Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Lisa,
    What a lovely St. Nicholas gift!
    First snows are so exciting.
    I understand the desire to be out in it!
    Thank you for the link. I shall go "a snowing"...
    Hugs to Luna,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Sunday, Lisa. Enjoy that first snow. We may get some on Tuesday. I think it's going to be a cold winter.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, it's December, might as well snow I suppose. Might help get some of us in the holiday spirit (grading term papers also does that, so here's to next week's end of the semester!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lisa....now that snow is perfect for me.....I like a light dusting....

    Luna is such a beautiful dog.....I love to see her, she looks such a gentle soul.....Poppi would love her.....

    Having the park to yourself must be wonderful.....so quiet, especially with that light snowfall.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your snow Lisa! Thanks for the pics of Luna too--she's such a pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love watching the snow fall and settle but hate it when it thaws...yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Tina, Luna looks so happy, she seems to be smiling! She must love the snow like you do. Were you both going whoo hoo together? :-)

    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember having trouble finding my white Borzoi at night in the snow, until she turned around & I could see her eyes & nose. But as you say, during the day the fur looks a little dingy compared with the pure whiteness of snow. How great to have a lighting display so close to home. Did you kiss Luna under the Misteltoe, or did she kiss you?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you saved some snow for us! LOL. Luna is such a beautiful dog, especially in the winter. She just looks like she belongs, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too was wondering how you'd find Luna in the snow:-)
    Wonderful pictures, especially those of the cranes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My Lilly loves the snow! It looks as though Luna does too.

    As much as I dislike winter, I have to say that freshly fallen snow is magical and so very beautiful, even to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. And in this post I can see: snow has finally arrived at your home too. :-) ! Everything suddenly looks quite different!

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...