Monday, July 21, 2014

Misc Monday

Here at  Greenbow it is the time of the Daylily parade.


 Of course daylilies are the only blooms in the garden. Tigers are prowling the garden
and some Oriental beauties. 
I have hydrangeas abloom too. This little patio hydrangea starts blooming at the beginning of the month and it continues for the longest time. It is one of those that you buy during Easter that they force to bloom. I used them years ago as table decorations and now this one is beside the patio where it has bloomed its head off every July for 6-7 years. Such a sweetie.
The Strawberry Vanilla hydrangea has come into it's own this year. It is mostly vanilla in my my ga den but which ever color it chooses it always gives a good display and reminds me of friends far away. 
While I have your attention I wanted to show you a hollyhock. I know they are the bane of some gardens. They don't even do well in my garden but while visiting my MIL I saw the tallest one I have ever seen. It was in her garden by where they burn garden refuse. It must have been 10 foot tall. Considering I am 5'6" you can see how it towered over me. I guess it is all that wood ash. Something you might try if you have difficulty getting your hollyhocks to grow tall. I didn't notice any rust on it either. The flowers were huge too. Such a delight to see I wanted to share it with you. Have you ever seen one so tall?
I will leave you with this. I hope to be a little better at getting posts up. So much is going on in the garden. Happy Gardening all.


16 comments:

  1. The hollyhocks are amazing! I planted some at my mother's house this year and they were no where near that tall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pretty tall hollyhock indeed. I'm not sure I've seen one so tall. The old fashioned ones seem to grow taller than the newer cultivars tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HiLisa,

    Good to see you blogging again.
    The Lilies are beautiful. I love the orientals but sadly cannot grow them here. I have the dreaded lily beetle which destroys them in a matter of days.

    I think the tiger lily is my favourite..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks like a riot of color, Lisa! I just love daylily season, too. My Vanilla Strawberry hydrangea is mostly vanilla, too; I thought it might be because it's located in full sun. I won't complain, though, because it certainly looks healthy and full this year.

    That is one huge hollyhock! I have had a couple grow this large--in my compost heap:) I haven't had a single hollyhock bloom this year, which makes me sad. They've had a bad case of rust the last few years, and I think Mr. P and the Roundup around the outbuildings did in a few others...grrr:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a monster Hollyhock!

    You have a lovely selection of lilies, such beautiful colours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the lily beetle doesn't attack mine this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Lisa that hollyhock is amazing ! I used to love having a dark one in my garden but rust was such a problem I had to give up on them.
    Love the lilies especially the Tiger lilies .. I need to find some for my garden !!
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Lisa that hollyhock is amazing ! I used to love having a dark one in my garden but rust was such a problem I had to give up on them.
    Love the lilies especially the Tiger lilies .. I need to find some for my garden !!
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hollyhocks but rust made me pull every last one. Maybe I should have been dumping our fireplace ashes around them? maybe I'll try again in the future. Lovely daylilies. I just purchased my first one this year and am now starting to pay more attention to other people's daylilies. How I never got hooked on these before I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The red daylilly seems to be a very special one. I never saw this kind of red before. Beautiful. With regard to hollyhock, we can see them quite often here in the gardens. The one you showed is indeed a very tall one.They seem to like clay soil. I for myself do not have any hollyhocks though I like this flower. Have a nice weekend.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister gave me lily bulbs when we first moved up. They were quite a lovely pink but each year they get paler and paler!!

    Love hollyhocks. We could grow them at the coast because of rust but my Mother in Law grows them up here. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen one so tall! I wish I could get something to grow a fraction of that size.

    Lisa, your lilies are gorgeous. I love the oriental ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful hollyhocks! We tried them twice, but the deer loved them. Our limited selection of day lilies also did well this year, but your different varieties are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your flowers are beautiful! Things bloom earlier here...it's usually all over for hydrangea and lilies by the first or second week of June. We haven't had much rain so now even the zinnias are dried up . My verbena is still alive, but we need a soaking rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for being such an avid follower of my blog! Your garden is spectacular! Love seeing you in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that first daylily in particular — though I am not sure if I have ever met a daylily I did not like!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello there Lisa! I'm delighted to hear you've been enjoying your garden like me - we've both been playing blogging truant together ;-)

    Wow - what a height that hollyhock was! Not a plant I have grown here. Ah... I do enjoy your lily parade every year. I've a couple myself this year - I must post photos one rainy day ;-)

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...