Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Freakish Fall

This will be a fall that will be in the memory for some time. Not only from the standpoint of it being the most warm but the driest. The garden seems to be just sitting there awaiting the whims of weathers to come in to play.
As summer was just as hot, actually hotter than my comfort zone, Weeds got out of hand. The Veggie Garden area reverted to the Forgotten Corner. We didn't get any mulch out in early spring because we traveled some.  
Lately we have taken back the Forgotten Corner and have spread mulch. It will be much easier to keep the weeds at bay, hopefully. We have never done fall mulching before. I will see what I think of this practice.
You can see that earlier in the month even things were still green. At least as green as can be expected this time of year. 
Right now all of the grass has gone dormant. What green you see here in this path are weeds. 
I have had to put up a fence to keep Annie and some of her friends from tearing out the back door of the house and tromping through this little garden by the back step. It is working out good. The ground is so hard that I couldn't hardly drive the upright posts into the ground with a sledge hammer. Ha... I might work on the aesthetics when I get a few more sticks long enough. 

I was inspired to make this type of fence by some of the fencing I saw while in Wisconsin at the meet up.

Squirrels are the major points of contention. They lure Annie and her friend Jack out the door and across the patio in chase.
Some of the more enjoyable and encouraged visitors are the Carolina Chickadees. They are so difficult to get a picture of as they are always in motion. 
The butterflies and 
bees are taking full advantage of all the flowers that dare to live during this dry spell. 
We have seen the last of our resident hummingbirds. I haven't seen one in the garden the past three days.  
This is definitely a sign of colder weather to come. Hopefully it will bring with it some much needed rain. How is your garden faring this fall?

13 comments:

  1. All the weeds....LOL your Garden of Weedin header is accurate I guess.
    I love the squirrels!! Dogs aside they must love visiting your paradise.

    Even with all the weeds your garden is beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful series of photos ~ love your dog and the chickadee ~ (they are hard to photograph) ~ Lovely ~ thanks!

    Wishing you a Happy Week ~ ^_^

    ps ~ Very dry in New England ~ water bans in several towns this summer ~ 'as the world turns'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never mulched in fall, mostly because I can't muster the energy this time of year, but more and more it seems like a really good idea to me. I'll be happy to hear how it goes for you. I see you grow Cherry Bells campanula (or something similar). So pretty but such a thug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,

    The last image is so pretty. Such a good capture on your part.
    I am amazed at just how green your garden is.
    A dry garden is such a worry.......
    Love the little fence. This type of fencing is used here and has been for many centuries.

    My garden is damp and cold..........and I am enjoying it very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new little fence! I remember seeing these, too, in Wisconsin, but I wouldn't have any idea how to go about creating one. We haven't had as much rain as promised the past few weeks, but we apparently have had much more than you. The grass never went dormant this summer at all, and Mr. Procrastinator has had to mow every single week. Is that a 'Wendy's Wish' Salvia the hummingbird is enjoying in the last photo? I saw the last hummingbird here last Tuesday--if I had known he was leaving, I would have said good-by:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fence is awesome--like the one at the Arboretum! Wow, that's a lot of work. Very impressive! I can't believe what a difference a short distance can make--we've had so much rain here for the past several weeks and we're only now drying out from it. Your garden looks great despite the dry weather. And I LOVE your arbor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks good given the weather you have been coping with. The twiggy fences are great and I know your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully you got some rain by now. It has been awful. Good job on the fence!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Autumn here has been warm certainly but not too dry. It's true that Chickadees tend to be a little hyperactive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Lisa girl ( in case I don't get backin time HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!) LOL
    Your garden is not looking bad at all .. this year has been wicked for gardeners .. lack of rain and the heat .. I hope next year ia a kinder gentler one for us !
    I love those chickadees and you are right ... they are so hard to get a picture of because they are in constant motion .. such cuties though.
    The wattle fence you have been making is such an ancient practice and they look great .. well done you !
    Our little chipmunks disappeared .. we miss them .. the worst is we don't know what happened to them .. they were truly such sweet little things.
    Can you believe I have a load of bulbs to plant yet ... ley alone garden clean up ... lots of work ahead for me but at least the temps will be cooler.
    I think you will be pleased with laying mulch down in the Fall .. I do that too .. it helps when you start out in the Spring ... good luck girl !
    Thanks for stopping by : )
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, that photo of the hummingbird is scrumptious. Thank you for making my day! Oh, and this is me, not the Diva. That's my daughter, but google got us mixed up a long time ago. ~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just hate it when the weeds get out of control? It's so disheartening!

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...