Saturday, April 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - April 2017

This April Gardeners Bloom Day is the most prolific April Bloom Day I can remember. I have looked back at several years of posting. many of which I didn't bother to post, and this does reinforce my thought. I can't find an April that has this many plants blooming, and here I was fretting that nothing would be in bloom when the folks come to visit on Easter.
I must say that most of the early blooming bulbs have worn out what with so little rain and all the hot weather. Yet there are a few hangers on, like these grape hyacinths that are light blue that fades to white and the yellow narcissus. The Camassia and Dicentra formosa are just coming on.
The Serviceberry tree has gone over but the Silverbell tree is blooming nicely.
It is so difficult to get a blooming tree photo. Yes, you are seeing pink on this silverbell. This variety is named 'Rosy Ridge' and it does have a touch of rose in the little bells as you can see up close. No matter how you look at it it looks pretty to me.
You can see here the big red dogwood is all abloom. Behind you can see some of the Redbuds.
The Leatherleaf Viburnum is abloom. I just love these little pink and white blooms with little rays of yellow around the edges.
Another Viburnum is blooming too. This is the standard that I made from the parent plant I am pleased how it has come along.
A few tulips and narcissus along with old fashioned purple irises are looking good. The Irises aren't quite all out yet. 
Virginia Blue Bells are abloom. 
The pink Lily of the Valley started blooming before the white ones this year.
Today I found my first Iris Crisata blooming. It seems like mine are always the last to come into bloom. I don't mind just as long as they do bloom.  
I could go on and on but I won't. I will just put a further listing at the bottom of this post for my reminder and your perusal.  For those of you that want to see more blooms pop over to Carols May Dreams Garden to see what is blooming where this month.

Lungwort
Blue Phlox
Golden Alexander
Mayapples
Spring Beauties
Violets
Columbines
Ice plant
Creeping phlox
Anemone Blanda
Orchids
Brunnera
Ajuga
Epimediums - yellow and red
Honeysuckle
Variegated Soloman' s Seal
Blue Hollies
Forest Pansy Redbud
White Lilac
Old fashioned Lilac
Variegated Kerria Shrub
Double Kerria Shrub
Azalea (Red)



29 comments:

  1. Prolific indeed! You must be a couple of weeks ahead of me. Love the Viburnum and Silverbells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got so many things flowering. I seem to have plenty but as I didn't post last year, I can't compare. The little pink viburnum blooms are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have so many plants blooming. They're wonderful. I have pink Lily-of-the-Valley, too. It will be a while before I see them break ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sally you must live in a very cold area. LotV is one of the first to push some leaves out of the ground here.

      Delete
  4. You have lots happening. Love that standard Viburnum you created. I just planted a second silver bell tree a couple of years ago. They are so pretty. Mine might bloom this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I hope your Silverbell blooms this year. They are so pretty.

      Delete
  5. Your "Garden of Weedin" sign gave me a chuckle. Love that - and all your beautiful blooms. Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My SoCal garden is also turning out flowers in vast quantities this April but just what's blooming is very different in our 2 gardens. I would so like to grow Camassia - and tulips - but those aren't in the cards here so I'll enjoy yours. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could tell you lived in a drier area than I do by the type of plants you were showing. I would miss Camassia and tulips if I lived there.

      Delete
  7. Wow, all your blooms are beautiful, but the Lily of the Valley really touches my heart. They remind me of my Grandmother. She had loads of the white (I didn't even know there were pink ones.) plants. The smell of those blooms takes me right back to Grandma's house. Do the pink ones smell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, The pink ones do smell. My smeller isn't so good anymore but Gary says they smell good. LotV is an old fashioned plant but I just love it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Wow, wow, wow! You are way ahead of me. Although, if we have many more days like today, it will happen fast here, too. The high was 77 and plants were popping! I love that Columbine in the first photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't this hot weather the strangest thing? It is no wonder there are so many things blooming. I had a Red Admiral in the garden yesterday.

      Delete
  9. Wow, so many blooms. Does your serviceberry bring in cedar waxwings? I was just reading that this is one of their favorites. That alone makes me one to plant one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never noticed cedar waxwings in the Serviceberry tree. There used to be a Hackberry right across the street from us. Now that really brought them in. I love the Serviceberry because it blooms so early and when it is cool the blooms seem to last a long time.

      Delete
  10. It's always interesting to see what's blooming in other parts and other climates. We could use a little of your heat, and you could probably use some of our PNW rain. Thanks for sharing your pretty flowers for Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are oh so right about us needing some of your rain Alison. I am surprised that you haven't had some plants drown in your garden. So glad you stopped by to enjoy the first spring flush.

      Delete
  11. Your garden is amazing. Your blooms are really fantastic, I want to paint in your yard!!

    i also think it is amazing how you know all the plant names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You come paint any time. Bring that Daya with you.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful blooms photos ~ you must have a 'green thumb' ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a peaceful week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all your flowering trees, Lisa--gorgeous! I agree about getting photos of them; I'm glad I took the photo of my white crabapple when I did because the next day the rain and wind blew most of the blossoms off. Your columbine is so pretty, too. The spring blooms are definitely early this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I didn't even realise you could get pink Lily of the Valley, Lisa! It is so unusual - does it have the same level of fragrance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a fragrance Jane but I don't think it is as heady as the white one.

      Delete
  15. All the flowers are so beautiful...

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Lisa, your garden is amazing and so vibrant! I can imagine the wonder of strolling through it all and loosing myself to its beauty... I have never seen a pink lily of the valley before!

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...