Saturday, September 16, 2017

Foliage Follow Up - September 2017

Pam at Digging always has a Foliage Follow up after Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. I have what I think is a very interesting foliage to share with you. It is a  small area right by my front porch that is covered with 'Silver Falls' Dichondra.
I have to agree with you that this isn't such an uncommon plant but for it to be here again this year it is amazing to me. Dichondra isn't supposed to be hardy in my zone 6b. I had an extra Dichondra after planting my pots last year so I stuck it in the ground right here by the front porch. It took off. and covered this area.
This late spring I saw a tiny tendril poke up out of the ground and it took off. I guess with all the concrete around it and our mild winter it enough had life to take off again this year. I like the way it works as a ground cover. It is a tough plant because this area doesn't get much extra water. Just when I have to water the plants in the pot above it. Since this is out front I don't get out there often. Happiness is an unexpected return of a plant.


15 comments:

  1. That is one of those plants I see on Pam's blog and am always lusting after, so congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda, it was a big surprise when it came back. Very drought tolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ground cover and the plant ~ neat photo ~ ^_^

    (A ShutterBug Explores)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a happy surprise! I like those! Maybe it will return again next year if it likes that spot. It looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping it will return. It sprawls out and give a very textured ground cover. We will see what this winter brings.

      Delete
  5. Well that settles it. I will try this plant next year and it will go in the ground rather than a pot :)
    I was thinking about finally trying one this spring, but they looked so pathetic all tangled up and messy in their tiny pots. At least you knew better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful......plants never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love it when a plant surprises you that way! I love silver ponyfoot, and you have a great spot for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful garden volunteer. It's funny how plants can surprise you like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so nice when you get such a nice surprise!!! Very very beautiful.
    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you got some rain ~ thanks for coming by and commenting ~ love your comments ~ ^_^

    (A ShutterBug Explores)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Lisa!
    My zone is 5a and we have icy and cold winters, so I often do the ground cover with my roses.
    Happy weekend
    Nadezda
    https://northern-garden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Weekend to you and thanks for commenting again ~ ^_^

    (A ShutterBug Explores)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello again, Lisa :-) This is particularly interesting to me this year. I only discovered this plant when looking for a wedding selection for front door hanging baskets and as expected I've loved it. I too am a foliage fan. It won't be hardy at all with me here in Scotland but I plan to order lots of little plug plants next spring and get creative with it as single plantings for a Spanish moss look in Scotland! It looks great as your ground cover but, as you say, all the better for it being a surprise this year. I love when plants do that too :-)

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...