Friday, August 17, 2018

August Planting

I was walking around the garden the other evening trying to get pictures of the big moths that come to the Datura. I didn't have any luck finding moths. All I found were these late working little bees. 
In the near darkness one sees their garden in a different light. The Hosta blooms  clearly show up and most have a light fragrance more noticeable than during the day.
As I walked along the back perimeter of the garden along the chain link fence that I keep trying to hide I was jolted into the fact that I had not developed the ribbon of a flower bed I started to create last fall. I pulled a few of the violets to see how hard the ground might be here. To my surprised they came out easily. I wasn't going to donate too much blood to the mosquitoes so I decided to wait until the next morning to work on this area.
While I have rarely, if ever, thought of August as a month to do much planting this year the last week of July and this first part of August is receiving the rain we should have had in June and first part of July.  Being a highly unusual year for weather has brought me to this point. I have made a new planting. 
I bought a selection of wildflowers that I have been wanting and got busy planting. Hairy Wood Mint, Northern Wild Senna, Blazing Star Liatris, Spotted Beebalm and a couple of grasses, Little Blue Stem and Switch Grass.
This area isn't full sun but it is the most sun I have in the back garden. We will see how well these plants adapt or if they even can adapt. I really hope this Spotted Beebalm Monarda punctata is quickly becoming one of my favorite plants. It adds color and an exotic look to the garden. The hummers and bees really like it too. You can click on the photo to see the spots and the exotic orchid-like parts of the blooms.
As I got about half way through in this area my Dearly Beloved must have noticed a slowing down of my progress as I dug and pulled on all those violets. He came out to the rescue. So all was planted.
In another spot in the back garden I had some rather thugish pink campanula that I wanted to remove. I was tired of having to keep a constant vigil to stop it from overtaking everything in it's path.
After my DB removed the offending plants I jumped in to plant this section with more of the Liatris.
Happily we have had an 1 1/2" of rain since we got these into the ground. All of the plants are looking quite happy out of the small pots they were in.
Have you dared to plant up an area at this time of year? I would love to know if your planting survived the typically dry hot August weathers.


23 comments:

  1. Impressive that you got all of your ladies in waiting planted and what perfect timing with the rain right after. I plant just about any time of the year, even in our dry summers but am generous with watering when planting during dry months. One trick that's worked for me is digging the hole, filling it with water and letting the water drain into the soil a few times, and then planting. Seems to really help when it's hot and we haven't had rain for weeks. Your DB is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good idea about the planting hole. I will give it a try next time. You are spot on about my DB. It would take me ages to get any major digging accomplished without him. :)

      Delete
  2. I always plant in september/october. I think the weather is more suited for re planting. But I think your plants look alright so good for you! Groetjes Hetty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lisa, by going to see the news.
    I really like your garden.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lisa, I love the thought of the wild plantings along the mesh fence. I do hope they all survive and increase. I enlarged the monarda, it is so pretty. I love it too.

    I find this is a good time to plant as the soil is still warm from all that Summer heat.
    I have planted two David Austen roses, Golden celebrations and Imogen, also some beautiful pale yellow/orange crocosmia.

    I have decided to invest more in English roses.

    DB is an angel coming to help you finish the job. What would we do without them :)


    Enjoy your weekend Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cheryl, I wish roses liked my garden. I don't have much luck with them. I love them so, especially the fragrant ones. You are so right about my DB being an angel. Especially when we first married he told me "I don't garden". We have aged well together.

      Delete
  5. It is crazy but I always seem to be redoing areas in August and usually it is after a fairly dry July. And yes, I am doing it this year. I've had good luck with things surviving if I remember to water them if we don't get rain. In fact, I am going out shortly to put in some new plants as it is supposed to rain Monday. As you say, that is perfection to have rain after you plant. And lucky you to get husbandly help. I am willing to admit they have strength that I don't have and are great at digging out. I love that Monarda and did not know it's name. That is a lovely combination of plants you've put in and should look lovely come next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to know that I am not the only one out there planting in the August heat. I am hoping all of these plants take.

      Delete
  6. How creative of you and am sure your 'new' section of garden will do well ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If we got rain at this time of year, you can bet I'd be planting too, Lisa, even if the heat was still blasting away. Unfortunately, we rarely get even a stray thunderstorm so planting anything other than succulents (or bromeliads!) is all I allow myself and even there I don't do much. You're clearly making great progress and your husband is a great helpmate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your post about the broms. I am fascinated by them. I just don't have a place for them. I can see how they could become addictive.

      Delete
  8. We don't do much planting this time of year. We'll start again in late september. July and August are mostly abouy keeping things alive.

    Your new plantings look great! Happy you got some rain to help things on their way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you scoff at my railing at the dry weather.
      Thanks for the encouragement regarding the new plantings.

      Delete
  9. I have, with mixed results. I've been holding off doing some planting this year until September. Although the weather has been mild and wet the last week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa - it seems like by the end of August I usually have the itch to move things around too. I have a peach tree volunteering from an odd spot...will be moving it soon. The rain really helps get things started. Glad to read you are receiving some. Love your Monarda...I clicked on the photo - very different and so pretty. Have a happy garden day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad the quote on my blog worked for your garden journal ~ and glad too that you enjoyed Ms. Z's photo!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Monarda is unusual and beautiful! Also beautiful the view of your garden with the photos of you and DB working in that planting bed. The shade must be nice in the heat of summer.

    You've done such a good job in your garden the new area you planted by the fence will surely be successful.

    I barely even went outside in August, except the past few days. Too relentlessly hot. The heat is just starting to ease, joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your area has had the worst heat. I feel for you and your garden. It hasn't been any picnic here either. UHG.. I hate this time of year when it is so hot and humid. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  13. Very nice! I really like that monarda, too. You were not the only one who was hit by the insane notion to plant in August this year. I started a huge project (1/4 to 1/2 acre, including paths) this month. A new pollinator garden! And I remember a long ago August when I first cleared a woodland path and began my fern glade. I think in the back of my mind I see these projects as a weight loss plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this idea of 'weight loss plan'. Somehow it is a temporary thing for me.

      Delete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...