Monday, October 15, 2018

A Few Blooms along with the Arrival of Autumn - October 2018

It sure hasn't felt much like autumn until the past few days. The nights were finally getting cool. Today it feels like autumn even during the day. The wind is blowing in some cool wet air. Brrr. This got me going to bring in the few plants I am saving this year. 
Those of you that read my blog regularly might notice a missing plant. It is the large Staghorn Fern that I have wrestled with the past few years. I finally decided I wasn't going to bring it in this year. As the nights grew cooler I couldn't bear to just leave it out to die so I asked around and found someone that has a big greenhouse that would give it a good home.  This was a difficult decision for me as I had that plant for many years (14). It seemed more like a pet to me. 
 My largest plant now is this night blooming cereus epiphyllum-oxypetalum (above). If I can't pick it up and move it next year I might re-home it too.
Anemone Honorine Jobert
Since the change in weather has brought a bit of much needed rain I seem to have a few blooms for Bloom Day.
Spiderwort Kate
The Asters are certainly performing well. I just love the way this one hangs over the edge of the sidewalk out front. You can see remnants of Russian Sage and Solidago 'Fireworks behind it. 
This white wild aster that just bullied its way into the front bed by the driveway is still looking perky. Someone that was visiting thought I should pull it because it is sort of bossy but I rather like strong characters. This area gets no supplement water so if it wants to grow and thrive here so be it.
The cheeky aster made its way across the drive and into the remaining black eyed Susans that the rain has revived.
The Toad Lilies are blooming up a storm. You can see their poor little leaves are half dried up but the rain seemed to pump up the blooms. I always look forward to them. I have planted several types of Toad lilies in the garden but this one is the only one that lasts more than a season. I am not ever sure of which one it is. I have had it so long and divided it and planted it here and there.
Lastly the surprise of the season, the Azalea is throwing open a few blooms to celebrate the rain.
What is blooming in your garden now? Please do share and head over to Carols May Dreams Garden to share with one and all your lovely blooms.

29 comments:

  1. Wow, your Asters are spectacular! That must have been hard to say goodbye to your Staghorn Fern! I'm the same way with some plants--when you've had them for a while, there are so many memories surrounding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asters are so pretty this time of year. I didn't even picture on of my favorites, the tall Tatarian.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe how many blooms you still have! We have been freezing at night so a sorry looking snap dragon and barely awake hollyhocks are about it here. I picked my tomatoes about a week ago and yesterday pulled the cages. This weekend will clean out the garden, coil hoses, and store tools before the snow flies. I love seeing what you're up to. You have such a happy garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had our first frost last night. It wasn't a hard frost so some things will survive but not for long I am afraid.

      Delete
  3. I brought in plants yesterday--a good thing, because we had our first real frost this morning. Your purple asters are gorgeous! I kind of like the "weedy" aster, too, and leave mine alone as well. I haven't had any luck with toad lilies; I think one plant bloomed one year, but then it never came back. Yours look very happy in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it is a good thing you did Rose. We also had our first frost but it wasn't a freezing frost. I wonder if our summers are too dry for the toad lilies.??

      Delete
  4. Most of my plants have been hauled inside already but I decided to leave a few large characters outside to go to plant heaven this winter. I took cuttings to start again though. Lots of pretty blooms in your garden still and your asters are especially lovely. They aren't fond of my shady garden so usually don't last long here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa - you are like me trying to decide what plants to let go and what to keep. It makes me so sad to just let them die. So many of them I store in the garage and if I remember I water them and try to prune them back. Last night brought my plants in close to the house so they wouldn't freeze. Hoping I can them outdoors until the leaves no longer protect the woods. My spiderwort is blooming which is highly unusual and flowering quince was a surprise. Loved seeing your azalea blooming. Poor plants must be confused with our crazy weather these days. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had room in our garage for some plants. That would make things easier. I agree that the plants are confused with this awful weather we have had this summer. Hugs back atcha.

      Delete
  6. Love the photos of them all and know the feeling about 'letting plants die' ~ not easy when you have had them so long ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Lisa!
    Autumn has came and new problems appear: where to store plants during winter. I did bring in some tender plants to the city apartment, others will overwinter in the garden and greenhouse, covered with a special cloth. Hopefully your plants indoors are healthy. I like your first photo - your husband and your dog are quietly sitting in the living room.
    Lovely anemones and Tradescancia (Spiderwort Kate)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nadezda, I should be more careful about what picture I show. I didn't realize that my DB was in the photo. ha..

      Delete
  8. Hi Lisa, I know how you must feel about the stag horn! I am glad you found it a good home. I am wondering if a similar fate awaits my variegated fig that I have had for years and have moved up to a larger pot several times. That pot is getting heavier and heavier and the fig takes up more and more room when I bring it inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't have to re-home your fig. I was so sad for a day or two. I miss it already but it was a relief to find it a good home.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad that fall's cooler temperatures have arrived in your part of the country, although I don't envy you the tasks of hauling plants under cover or deciding which are just too much trouble to save. Your asters are splendid! I've yet to find any that bloom that heavily. My local botanic garden has a nice variety that's doing well just 5 miles from me (unlabeled of course!) but then I suspect that garden waters MUCH more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cutting them back is the trigger for more blooms it seems to me.

      Delete
  10. Wishing you a colorful and creative autumn especially in your garden ^_^

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s always a problem when a plant outgrows it’s allotted space especially if you have become attach each to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue, it was heart wrenching at the time. I am getting used to it.

      Delete
  12. My Spiderworts are in deep slumber, so it's interesting to see yours in bloom. Great asters and toad lilies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. violet flowers are stunning.
    Love all pictures.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to find and follow this blog. I can find so many new things here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The weather seems to have been fairly mild in many countries, including UK.

    Hard to give away a long term plant. I feel sure it will be fine in the greenhouse. You will have to go check on it :)

    You have some lovely purples in the garden Lisa. Poppi's favourite colour.

    Glad you are getting rain, I know you need it.

    E
    Happy Thursday Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling a bit better about it now. It took a couple of days to get over giving it away. Keep packing!

      Delete
  16. It's great you were able to find a new home for your Staghorn. Perhaps you'll be able to visit it? The cheeky aster makes a nice combo with the rudbeckias, at least for the moment. Asters are not commonly grown here--there's a California native, Symphyotrichum chilense. I'll have to look around for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have more blooms than I would have expected in October. I didn't have time to do Bloom Day this month. I think we were on the way back from Texas. Happy Bloom Day my friend. Sorry about your staghorn fern. Sometimes, we have to make changes for our own peace of mind and back. ;-) ~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely blooms for October and hope all is well ~ great to 'see you' again ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...