Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Stroll Through the Garden

It has been a mild start to this new year here at Greenbow. I have strolled about the garden daily almost as if it was still fall.   Our temps have been running 10 or more degrees above the average. 
I have been watching for any early flowers this year.  I don't think that most of the plants are fooled by this warmer weather.
I did find a few things popping up like the Snowdrops Nivalis peeking out of the duff with the Golden Alexander Zizia Aurea.
Ivory Prince Hellebore has buds on it too. According to my records this is an early date for them to be budding. 
Other Hellebores are putting on some growth! Now this is odd for January. Usually they are hunkered down awaiting more clement weather. I realized that Ivory Prince has been in this garden in this spot for many years, since 1997, and it has barely grown. I am beginning to wonder what in the world is the matter with this situation??? I did some reading and it did say it was a slow grower. I would say that this is ridiculous. Oh well, it is reliable and evergreen most years. I was thinking I would move it then I also read it doesn't like to be disturbed. Have any of you found this to be true?
Walking around the back of the garden I didn't find much but this Hairy Wood Mint is making a great winter show. I only planted one of these year before last wondering if it was a normal mint and would go rampant. No, it is clumper not a runner. 
If you look closely you can see where it gets its common name  'Hairy'. The stems and even the leaves are quite hairy.  The only draw back to this plant is that it looks horrible after it blooms. I cut it to the ground thinking it would be no loss if it died but it must have appreciated the chomp. It will be dealt with this way in the future too. I will see how it develops.
Walking through some of the other paths you can see there is a lot of brown and gray. The grass in the paths hasn't given up this winter at all. While it isn't summer green it isn't winter gray.
At the West end of the patio there is still a bit of green. The brown of the Witch Hazel leaves still clinging even gives a bit of color.
Around front is one of my very favorite plants in the garden , a weeping spruce. It doesn't get much blog love because of where it is situated. It has become a magnificent tree to my eyes. 
This year I am thinking that it is the most prolific year for cones on this tree. There is clump after clump all over the tree. I wonder if it is because of the drought we have had the past few years.  
Rain shouldn't be a problem this month if the predictions come true this week. 3-4" of rain is expected. Oh, have I mentioned the wind? In December half of the days had winds of 20MPH with even higher gusts. January has begun with about the same amounts of wind. 
On that note I will leave you here with a shot of the Holly Berries in front of the house. They are well guarded by the Mockingbird that claims this area. This is the most color in the garden other than gray and a bit of green. Here is to a more colorful spring.

15 comments:

  1. Bij ons hebben verschillende Helleborussen al bloemknoppen.
    Hier is het ook bijzonder warm voor de tijd van het jaar 10 tot 14 C.
    Gr Jan(Wilde een Tuin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While it has been mild here in the Pacific Northwest, we are taking a turn to colder weather and snow is a possibility in the next week. We have snowdrops up and showing buds, hardy cyclamen beginning to bloom, hellebores sending up bloom stalks, winter jasmine in bloom, daffodils breaking through the surface, and primroses acting like it's spring. the witch hazel is in bloom and the sarcococca is perfuming the front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hellebores are making an earlier appearance than ours, which don't usually show up until spring is well underway. After a couple of warm days (77F one day!), we've turned cool (below 60F) again today and there's only a slim chance of rain 10 days out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually our very first hellebore flower has opened by now. It’s a bit tardy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There might not be as much color, but there sure is lots of life. That spruce is magnificent. Don't they produce cones every other year? The cedar up the river had lots of cones this year too. ???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intriguing walk through your garden ~ do hope the plants don't bloom too early ~ snow and cold I am sure is on its way at some point ~ It is the gale winds I am not fond of ~ whatever the precipitation ~

    Happy Moments to You ,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your first hellebore have buds, wonderful Lisa.
    You could feel early spring, here we have very mild winter without snow and frost.
    Love your photo of cones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you a Happy and Fun weekend ~ ^_^ thanks for your comments ^_^

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa that weeping spruce is gorgeous ! Those cones magnificent ! I would be collecting them as they drop .. I wouldn't be able to help myself ? LOL .. Ivory Prince has flowered for me from the first year I had it, which is maybe more than 7 years ago .. what if you took a section of it off and placed it in another location ? Then you might be able to tell if the original location is not quite right for flowering. I have divided hellebore without getting too put off with information saying they don't like it .. go with your gut !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa your weather sounds a great deal like ours this winter. January has been very warm and in fact today it is to be close to 70 degrees - very unusual for this time of the year. I will be checking out my Hellebores - this is the first year I grew one - so I am excited to see it begin to bloom. Take care friend and have a delightful weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our yard looks a bit like yours, but without the new growth, as far as I can tell. We were supposed to get snow today but instead it's just rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comments ~ weather is similar here ~ enjoy ^_^

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you a splendid Sunday ~ thanks for your visit and commenting ^_^

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our grass has been muddy brown for far too long. I hope that it manages to recover. Bulbb are popping up though which is a welcome sight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you are having a great weekend ~ thanks for your comments ^_^

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...