Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Nearly Thawed

Our area is running a few degrees colder than normal this December. Those few degrees don't look so bad when you read it on the tv but when ever you are out and about it feels pretty darned cold.
We took Annie to one of our favorite parks. This park has roads all through it and we often stick to the roads for our walks but today the sun is shining and we couldn't resist taking off on one of the trails through the woods. After all the name of the park is Ouabache Trails Park.
We wound our way around the hill down to where a creek runs. 
 With the sun shining the outcrop of stone along the creek was displaying some fine ice icicles. I was a little surprised that the creek wasn't frozen. This creek runs as long as we aren't in a drought so it has to get severely cold to freeze.
I got down a little closer to see if I could spot any walking ferns along the outcropping. I didn't see any but there are other ferns, lichen, moss and some sort of wort along the rock ledge.
We left this area and crossed a bridge where we stopped to look for some birds we heard vocalizing.
Annie left her foot print in the frost.
I hope you all are having a good week and are able to get out and about to enjoy the sun even if it isn't very warm. It feels good to get out, stretch and get a whiff of fresh air.
.




24 comments:

  1. It's 60F here and I'm shivering. I don't think I could manage temperatures that freeze dripping water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks lovely. It's been cold here, too, but now we're having a mild stretch. Maybe it will pass your way, too. Not "warm," mind you, but low to mid-30s for highs in the 10-day forecast. Definitely comfortable enough for hikes (long underwear, parka, gloves, boots required ;-) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, we are having a spring-like day today. This whole week is to be in the 40s. Lovin every minute of it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds funny, but I love that paw print. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy some nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful spot Lisa. I would think Annie loved it?
    I love the Icicles and your small discoveries.
    It has been very mild here, although I noticed it is changing today with a chill wind. I cannot believe it, I noticed hellebore buds above ground today!!! Also summer snowflake tips pushing through the soil. Yikes way too early.

    Glad you managed to get some fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely place to take a walk. It was fun seeing you and Annie. Both of you are looking good. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brr. Glad you got out to enjoy the sun and hope you're keeping warm. We're having several days of heavy rain here but perhaps there'll be a bit of a break occasionally so we can dash outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful nature shots despite the cold ~ bet Annie loved her walk!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet, she loves her walks. She doesn't really care where just as long as we get out regularly.

      Delete
  8. I just love those Midwestern deciduous forest floors in autumn. The slanted winter light illuminates them so beautifully. Lucky you who live near that park!

    ReplyDelete
  9. look pretty cold, but wonderful views.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Icicles? Now that is cold. It’s cold here but not that cold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'Good to have you 'visit' again ~ so glad you enjoy my photography ~ it is a beautiful area to photograph even when cold outside ~

    Happy day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been in the upper 30s here all week, which I consider to be warm for December.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First frost and icicles, nice weather, Lisa. We had a little frost as well, thin layer of snow, so I have had to work with snow shovel:-)
    Your doggy loves walking in the park, doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nadezda, yes, Annie, my dog loves to walk.
    I love the first snow of the season when I have to get out and shovel. After the first snow I sort of dread the shoveling. ha.. Luckily we don't get a lot of snow here. It comes in bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you are having a delightful and cozy weekend ~ Xox

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great place to dog-walk. Annie must have had fun, and its nice to get outside if you are dressed warmly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Much colder today in the 20's but temps are erratic so it could jump to 50 this week ~

    Great having you visit and comment ~ always enjoy them ~ ^_^

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stopped by to wish you a very Merry Xmas ~ xxx

    Happy Holidays to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...