Sunday, April 5, 2020

Weekend Wonders

There is so much happening in the garden now. I have to be out there often to try to keep up with it all. 
The Mayapples, Podophyllum,  are beginning to pop up. Always a delight to see. 
The trillium is beginning to set buds. I wanted to get these posted for Wildflower Wednesday but I didn't get around to it. Odd how with more time at home I don't seem to be getting ahead of chores or even getting to some things I want to do. 
We took Annie for a walk and I spotted these fiddle heads unfurling. These belonging to Christmas Fern. I don't know a lot of wild ferns but this one I have in my garden.
We came upon this convention of Turkey Vultures having breakfast.
Mallards are so very common around here year round but this gentleman looked quite dapper in his fresh plumage. 
A bird that isn't so common is a Barred Owl. We came upon this one standing at the edge of a flooded field. It appeared to be hunting frogs. We sat and watched it for some time. It didn't catch anything while we watched but it didn't seem a bit disturbed with an audience. It did keep an eye on us.
We are all doing well here. I hope you and yours are too.
As you might have noticed we haven't had much sunshine lately. The weather sort of suits the mood of the country. I am ready for some sunshine. How about you?

23 comments:

  1. Awesome garden post ~ loved the added feathered friends too ~ Glad you are well ^_^

    Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ps. Please continue to send Zoe well wishes her leg seems better but not yet right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Carol. Give Zoe pets for me, poor little girl.

      Delete
  2. Prachtig Trilliums, hier doen ze het niet zo goed.
    Gr Jan(Wilde een Tuin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only spot that they will grow in my garden. They are particular about their situation.

      Delete
  3. I am certainly ready for some WARMTH! Even the sunny days have been cold.
    It's a great season for birds and budding plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bird pics, Lisa. We've enjoyed quite a bit of sun once the morning clouds move out but I'm looking forward to the rain which is forecast to arrive in the wee hours of Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed the pictures Kris. I hope you get some rain.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, you are way ahead of me now. I can see slight pips of Mayapples in the woods, but no foliage yet. It does happen fast, but our forecast for next week is quite a bit colder. Great capture of the barred owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is supposed to get cold here soon too Beth. Not looking forward to it. We have been spoiled by this warmer weather.

      Delete
  6. All these little wonders on your walk! Thanks for taking me along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be thrilled to see that owl. How wonderful you got a photo.

    The Podophyllums are a very exotic plant for me--they do not grow here--always enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thrilled to see the owl HB. We sat for some time watching it before even trying to get photos. We didn't want to disturb it.
    This Podophyllum is a native here. I don't have any of the fancy ones. I love this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your visit and comments ~ Yes, I felt like we were invaded ~ but got to share ~ LOL

    Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    PS ~ Zoe 'on the mend' gratefully ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the owl and duck ~ nature's gifts ^_^

    Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    PS ~ Zoe 'on the mend' gratefully ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great catch with the owl. Our red trillium is up but not the white trillium.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa,
    love this Christmas fern, pretty plant. I envy you to have possibility to be in your garden, to see ducks and turkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've recently bought an indoor Boston fern, and was tickled to see it unfurls just like the outdoor ones. I know, it doesn't take a lot to please me. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa loved the photo of the Barred Owl...amazing - have never seen one here. Your photos of the turkey vultures made me smile...they certainly didn't look like they were practicing "social distancing" :)!! Stay safe dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh thank you for taking me along your beautiful path and leaving that blah behind for a time.

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...