Sunday, April 20, 2008

Out of the Garden VII

We went to our usual birding area again today. I am happy to report that the water is down quite a bit and we didn't see any deer or other critters stranded as we saw last week. However I think I have mentioned before about the one Canada Goose that we have named Brutus. He is a very territorial goose and is quite ferocious and doesn't want anyone near his Mrs or their nest. Well, the silly goose has set up housekeeping right in the middle of an area that we bird. So we must drive by his nest when we check this area. Brutus is not happy. As you can see below he is coming toward us to make sure we understand his displeasure at our appearance. Today he actually flew up onto the hood of our truck and yelled at us through the windshield.
This is not a happy goose. He is screaming his lungs out and stomping his feet on our truck. This is why Mon@rch warned me not to get too close to the nest. Canada Geese can be very territorial and vicious when protecting said territory. This is why I get nervous when people tell me they take food out to wild geese especially when they have small children in tow.
You can imagine how courageous this fellow is since our pick-up truck didn't daunt him. I would imagine a person might come away with abruise or I have heard even a broken bone. He thumps the truck and squacks the entire time we are anywhere near his area. Needless to say we try to pass by as quick as we can but it is difficult to do when he is stomping around, charging the truck and this time jumping onto the truck to protest our appearance.
As we were driving past his nest you can still see the ire in his eyes. He hates us for being so near his nest. The Mrs is just a few feet away in the water voicing her concern. She was afraid to come back to the nest while we were so close but Brutus was not a bit intimidated. He fluffed up the down in the nest and...
sat right down on those eggs. I guess when all else fails ignore them and they will go away. After all...
if they don't understand a good tongue lashing, what is a goose to do??
My DB took the last two pictures. I took the other pictures today while we tried to avoid the Brutus. The pictures taken of him on top of the truck were taken through the windshield with the windows rolled up. Ha..

33 comments:

  1. These photos are awesome! I can about hear you hooting and hollering :) Brutus is really a goof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An attack Goose? I love it! These great pictures, lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!!! I've always heard that the geese can be really mean... but Brutus jumping up and giving you the what-for from the top of the truck really brings that message home. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa, even though this could turn out badly if you were on foot, or especially with a young one in tow, the bravery and fearlessness of this Daddy -to- be are admirable. Mrs. Goose chose her mate well. May they have a large and happy family together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very glad you didn't get next to that nest! Look at it jumping up on your hood! Good pictures of it though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a truly great wildlife adventure. excellent pictures that tell the story beautifully. that nest is awesome.
    irena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa,

    I loved this story! I laughed so hard...

    Brutus the King. About 25 years ago, I learned about the wrath of a goose at the duck pond with my daughter in a stroller. He yanked the zipper on her coat and tried to take her ear off while I beat him with a bag of break crumbs.

    Thanks for the hilarious memory!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, he was a brave one! That is so funny. I had no idea they could be so mean. I'll know now to keep a safe distance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pictures! I've never seen a goose so fearless - attacking a truck?!? I've been around plenty of Canada geese, they're big honkers, but they are only very rarely aggressive. I guess I was just never near a nest. The biggest nuisance used to be the pounds of poop they excreted on lawns and playing fields every day. eew...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, wonderful pictures from the both of you! Brutus is to be commended for such bravery. As are you two for facing him. Glad every thing turned out okay. It is awesome to see the lengths creatures will go to trying to protect their young.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really captured the mood with these photos! Poor Brutus, i really feel for him, lol :-)

    having been on the receiving end of a goose's displeasure, i completely concur with your warnings .. a tame goose at a visitor attraction decided to go for my ankle (and it was in a place where small kids are encouraged to interact with the animals) no damage done, but they are powerful when roused and it hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found your blog thru Ewa. I am the one who "tagged" her. What a great post! Fab pictures and good warning! Geese can be vicious.People underestimate them!!
    Carol
    terranovadesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brutus! The name goes with the personality!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story and photos, Lisa. It is amazing how wildlife instinctively knows how to take care of their "brood".There are some humans that could take some lessons from that brave "Brutus".
    Meems @Hoe&Shovel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice pictures, and I'm glad you didn't get bloodied in your pursuit of them. He looks fearless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You might be safer driving through an wild animal park. Great post, Lisa. I smiled all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  17. brutus is amazing and so brave! And your other little birds are charming too. Two good stories to start a day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH my! Who knew they could be THAT territorial? Eek! Sort of frightening... like a goose on steroids or something.. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely priceless! I can hear the goose scolding you from here! I don't know that I'd have been quite so calm and forward going if I had an attack goose on MY windshield.

    ReplyDelete
  20. People could learn quite a bit from this goose! What a good Dad! Did he leave any treasures on the hood of your car? I was amazed at how many eggs were in that nest and can't wait to see your gosling pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good old Brutus thats what I say....wouldn't you protect your own if strangers came by. When I was a child at my grandparents home I used to go in with the geese. Everyone else was terrified. Must see if I can find the photo to show you. I think I was four.
    Great photos Lisa, really made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another feisty bird, although slightly larger than the previous one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, now that's a daddy! I don't think I have ever been that close to a Canada Goose...we see them fly to and from here in the suburbs! How long will they be on the nest?

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is some stunning photography. And you are BRAVE to take on that goose. He looks MEAN! Glad I only have furry bunnies to deal with right now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had no idea geese could be this aggressive! I'll remember this before I take one of the grandchildren too close to our field to see the geese.
    By the way, saw your comment on Beckie's post about your camera--your pictures are great, as is. I'd spend the money on plants instead, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ohmygoodness! Those are wonderful pictures... and an amazing episode! You were fortunate, were you not, to see the nest and eggs??

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG, this was just a great story with fabulous photos to go with it! And look at all those eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! I love geese! Such terrific pictures (I know a gazillion others have said this). These are the sorts of pics I always hope to get but don't seem able to. Thank you! I never knew how territorial they were, but as a kid I remember a family line going across busy highway and all the cars stopped in both directions to let them pass from one catch pond to the other--the do have attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear Lisa,
    Oh my goodness!
    Nice photos of Brutus and his nest!
    Wow! Glad you were safe inside the truck.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous photos Lisa. Brutus is the perfect name for this Canadian Goose :-} they can be quite aggressive defending their territory :-} Living near the lake, we see and hear the Geese all the time and "Geese Crossing" signs are a familiar sight. We have been in a long line up of cars many times patiently waiting the Geese and goslings to cross a road (and they take their time) :-}

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a story! Brutus is so brave - I really admire him. I think it must have been in despair. To jump on the car to protect the nest, OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's a gander with its dander up!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos! What a neat experience to see the geese nesting. The visit Not so welcome for the geese, obviously, but fascinating for you (and us)!

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...