Saturday, July 12, 2008

Larger Daylilies

I am beginning the tour of my larger daylilies with 'Golden Hibiscus'. I happen to know the name of this one because it hasn't been in my garden very long. I received it from my Sister for my birthday a couple of years ago. It is a favored daylily not only because it was a gift I most appreciated but because this huge flower has golden flecks in the sepals. I have tried and tried to photograph those golden flecks but I just can't seem to capture them. They are a lot like fairy dust. Sometimes you see it sometimes you don't.
I haven't had this second daylily long enough to forget its name either. It is 'Wilson's Spider'. It is the first spider daylily I ever purchased. I was so taken with the form of the bloom. There are now so many pretty colors in this form. I hope to get more.
This poor nameless daylily is barely keeping its head afloat in a sea of Gooseneck Loosestrife. I must get out there soon and rescue it before it drowns out entirely.I think this daylily is from the 'Chicago' series of daylilies. I got several of them a few years ago while visiting friends that live in the Chicago area. They always remind me of them when they bloom.These tall fragrant daylilies are planted around the patio. I have always hoped that I could sit on the patio and smell them. You know what they say, the sense of smell is one of the first to go... I haven't smelled them but I have had friends say they could smell them.
The next two are from the bird names I have collected. I am not sure which is what but the names are 'Baltimore Oriole' and 'Screech Owl'. Names are one of the many reasons why I buy plants. One of the reasons why I choose certain daylilies is because of the colors of their throats. Sort of like bees I often first look at the throats of the daylilies insead of the overall color and form. This one has a limey throat.
This one has a darker yellow.
This daylily has a combination of yellow and green. Just lovely.
This daylily I have shown on my blog before. It is one of my favorites. It starts blooming early and blooms for quite some time. Then it has a little rest and in fall it blooms again. You can't ask much more from any flower.
I hope you have enjoyed the tour of my collection. When the last of them bloom I will post about the late bloomers. I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

21 comments:

  1. WOW! Now you are torturing me, I hardly have any flowers left in the garden ;-).The red one is just wonderful. We don't find many daylilies around here unfortunatelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    Very nice collection indeed. All the pretty throats and colors of the petals and forms and shapes and sizes... just lovely... your garden is full of vibrance and life!
    Meems @Hoe&Shovel

    ReplyDelete
  3. A shame we can't make exchanges over our borders; I'm sure you'd like some of mine as much as I like some of yours. They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gintoino, maybe you could start a trend in gardening by purchasing some daylilies and growing them. They tolerate most any conditions.

    Thank you Meems.

    You are right Vero, I would love to trade daylilies with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh Lisa....you really do have some beautiful Daylilies....when will their season end? And can I ask do you split them every couple of years??

    A wonderful display......I love the sister birthday present....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thannk you Cheryl. I don't divide them unless they stop blooming profusely or start taking over a spot. Or of course if someone wants a start of a particular one.

    I have bought daylilies so that I have some blooming almost all summer. They come and they go by variety. The small ones tend to open first. The larger ones are all going great guns right now. However Little Grapette is still flowering although not as many blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There stunning Lisa, and the close up shots are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those gold flecks on the petals that sparkle are called "diamond dusting." It's an attribute that some breeders strive for. It does make the flowers that much more special. I know the feeling of "this is a Chicago Daylily I just wish I knew which one." I thought I gave away all mine, but one just bloomed this morning. Now I have to try to figure out if it's "Chicago Thistle" or "Chicago Weathermaster." Regardless, they are such stalwarts, what would we do without them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Lisa, they're all so beautiful and what a nice variety. Do you know if most daylilies are hardy in Zone 4? I would like to look for some of these varieties to plant in my gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are all so very beautiful Lisa! Lucky you to have them to gaze upon. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have very much enjoyed viewing your daylily collection, Lisa! I can imagine how beautiful it would be to stroll around and admire them in your garden. Thanks for all the beautiful shots and descriptions ....I am taking notes !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soooo beautiful. I so enjoy your daylillies(-: Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all so lovely, Lisa. I think it's great that you have planted varieties that bloom at different times. They must put on quite a show all summer long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are just beautiful. Love the daylilies. The gold speckles in your first one are called "Diamond Dust" in the trade. Thank you so much for sharing them.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, you are the one with the great camera. I knew it wasn't me. Those are great close ups. I still lean toward my old faithful orange daylily. It was my first one and it is still in the same pot. Every year there it is. I love the the buttah yellow ones. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa, oh my. They are beautiful! I've always had daylilies but none as pretty as those... Like you, I treasure the flowers given to me as gifts so much. I tend to watch them grow more than others.

    Lovely photos, too!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa - your day lilies are awesome! I really like the limey-throated one, too. You have such a nice collection. My new lilies are probably all blooming while we are gone on vacation for almost 3 weeks. I've gotta get my Dad to go take some pictures of them for me! Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lisa, Golden Hibiscus is wonderful, I have nothing like that. Diamond dust or fairly sprinkles, I need to look for some with that attribute, how enchanting. All your dayliies are special, the ones that are gifts the most. Thanks for showing them. I am holding my last post of the late ones too, only a couple left that have not opened that have buds. One that I was waiting for had one bud and it fell off today. Now it will have to wait until next year to be get the ID. Drat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh, these colors and daylillies are so gorgeous!!! I'm so glad you share them so I can get my daylily fix :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lisa-
    Thanks for sending me over here. You've got some terrific ones. I especially love the close up of the red with the yellowed center. Fran

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is no other word: BEAUTIFUL ! And the last picture makes me "crazy"...it's the colour and the form I like so much!

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...