Monday, September 1, 2008

September Muse Day

The first of every month is Muse Day. Carolyn over at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago started this muse day and everyone that would like to post a poem on the first of the month is welcome to do so and then leave a comment here so everyone can come read your muse.
September always seems to be the beginning of fall to me. The bird migration is in full swing, the leaves on the trees are beginning to turn red and yellow and the Ash tree seeds are beginning to descend.
I just love the way Mary Oliver writes about nature with her poetry so here is my selection written by her.
September

I walk through a grove of pines and startle the nighthawk
from the limb where it has been lying, resting or sleeping.
The bird is similar in color to the gray limb, and lies along
not across it, so is almost invisible. On its hawk-like wings
it rises into the sky, and vanishes.
The nighthawk doesn't nest here but only stops a few days
on its long travels. I know this one must be tired of flight,
and I am sorry to have disturbed it.

The next day, walking the same woods, I approach with
care. The bird is again resting on the limb, its eyes shut. I
back away and do not disturb it.
The following year, almost to the day, I neter the
pinewoods and remember the nighthawk just in time-in
time to be cautious and silent. Ane the bird is there, in the
same tree, on the same limb, int he pinewoods that is so
pretty and so restful, apparently to both of us.
___________________________________________________________________________________

I guess you are wondering why this struck me. It is because we have been seeing small groups of migrating nighthawks lately. They are such lively birds even though they are nocturnal most of the time. When in migration or just after their young hatch you see them during the daylight hours.
I don't have a picture of a nighthawk so I will leave you with a picture of this buckeye butterfly on the sedums.
If you would like to read a little more about Common Nighthawks and see a picture of one you can go to Ohio Birds & Biodiversity by Jim McCormack and there is a couple of posts about them.
Happy muse day to all. I look forward to reading your post.




22 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    What a beautiful poem. Mary Oliver became a favorite poet of mine only this last year. This poem is like a beautiful note a dear friend sent!

    Good photo of fall color! Today is officially the first day of Autumn for the meteorological year or so I read!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem Lisa! Great shot of the butterfly too. I haven't seen a Buckeye around here. They're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa, your photo looks like early fall, I love that color combination. The poem is touching, thanks for sharing it. I love those buckeyes, I just noticed them for the first time this year, due to blogging no doubt. The nighthawks sound fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Buckeye--one of my faves! That's a great picture, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I have to admit I had never read anything by Mary Oliver until I started reading blogs; this is probably the third poem of hers that I have now read. Her style and treatment of nature is excellent; I'm going to have to find more of her poems!
    This was the perfect poem for you--I can see why you like it so much.

    I have seen lots of goldenrod blooming lately, even in my backyard--another plant I didn't know I had!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Lisa for that lovely contribution to Garden Bloggers' Muse Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely poem Lisa. Love your Buckeye!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lisa,
    Mary Oliver is a favorite of mine as well.
    September is the beginning of Autumn for me too. Buckeye is a beautiful butterfly, so colorful.
    Thank you for the links. I shall go visit.
    My husband is fond of the Night Hawks and the Buckeyes.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a beautiful poem Lisa and the pictures are perfect for the visual effect.

    Happy Muse Day!
    Hmm, I may have to check into this, it sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In tune with nature! A very nice read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, I've never seen nighthawks. Thanks for providing a link. :-) I do love Buckeyes, though. I don't know why I haven't visited, lately!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa, I love the goldenrod with the Russian sage-very pretty combination. Oliver's writing drew me in and I could see her walk. How lovely to describe so well that you feel you are there.

    The "buckeye butterfly' is gorgeous. I took a picture of one the other day, but didn't know the name. Isn't blogging great? You can learn so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photos...fall/autumn is my favorite time of year of year. This year, tomorrow, we are going to Alaska for two weeks...and I imagine their September will be quite different from ours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Lisa.....Mary writes with feeling.....I like the fact that she does not wish to disturb the bird......and she see's him the following year.....on the same tree, the same limb......

    the buckeye is so lovely, I saw one recently on Sherry's blog....and was so taken with it....

    A great post. tku......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lisa, I'm a big fan of Mary Oliver's poetry too. She really seems to understand nature.

    What a wonderful photo of the buckeye!
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice poem.
    I think of september as the start to fall, too. And that's ok--I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I read "Nighthawks" that painting at the Art Institute immediately sprang to mind. I've never seen the actual birds - how neat to have them by your house. I missed posting for Muse Day this month, but I too feel that autumn is beginning to make its presence known.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this. It is utterly, utterly perfect, Lisa. We don't have nighthawks or whip-poor-wills around here anymore. Sad. I think I must buy some Mary Oliver - I like everything I read by her. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maybe some day I'll be lucky enough to see a nighthawk lying along the branch of the tree.

    Tom Spencer's Soul of the Garden website/blog is where I first met Mary Oliver...think I found his site about 2001. You chose a lovely poem for Muse Day, Lisa!

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  20. I second Frances - there are signs that the summer is ending. Sad.
    i don't think we have Buckeyes in europe - does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lisa, very lovely. I found out about Mary Oliver from Idaho Gardener, Mary Ann. When I was in Austin, a speaker quoted one of her poems,and it brought tears to my eyes. Such grace. Like you.

    Happy Fall.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Lisa--Like Rose, I've just discovered Mary Oliver via gardening blogs--the passage you picked out was lovely. I really liked your stump art, too--have you named your little pig yet?

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...