Wednesday, February 11, 2009

75 Exceptional Herbs For Your Garden

When I blew in from work this evening there was a cardboard box sitting on my computer. My DB was most curious about what might be in it. As soon as I read the return label stating Gibbs Smith Publisher I knew just was it was. You see I was the lucky person that had their name drawn by Layanee at Ledge and Gardens to receive this newly published book. Her description, which you can read here, made is sound like a good read.
What Layanee didn't tell you is that the book itself is just beautiful. If one was not a gardener you would be delighted to receive this book due to the exceptional binding and layout. I am so impressed with the quality of the book. It seems that now days publishers use the most flimsy materials. This book even feels good to hold. Oh and the illustrations by Ellen Buchert are marvelous. Not only is this book going to inspire me to plant more herbs but I will also be inspired to illustrate the herbs in my garden. I see that I have several herbs already in my garden that are included in this tome. I can't wait to read what interesting information the author Jack Staub has written about them and the many other herbs I only dream about growing. There are a couple of them that I haven't heard of before, so I feel I will learn a lot.

Again I want to thank Layanee for offering this book. I also want to thank Gibbs Smith Publisher for making this book available for the give away.
You will have to excuse me now. I can't wait any longer to peruse my new treasure. I will be looking for Hieronymus Bock, I can't wait to meet him. Oh yes, it is so beautiful.....mmmm..yes.... thank you, thank you..

18 comments:

  1. The book couldn't have found a better home, Lisa :) Lucky you! It sounds fabulous. I'll have to look it up.
    Have fun wiling away some winter hours with your beautiful new treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and it does look like a lovely read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa, that is the best prize, gardening and art! The pictures look exquisitely drawn too. How wonderful.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure are one lucky girl lately! This really looks like a wonderful book especially with those illustrations. You are getting inspiration from everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! I'm so pleased for you, Lisa! I have the veg book and just love it. You'll have a lot of fun with this book and it'll inspire you to even more herbal fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You very lucky gardener...The book is beautiful....I am tempted top get the series is is so lovely. All my garden books are dirt stained and well loved, but I would treasure this one...reading it with clean hands!
    Can't wait to see your new herbs!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Lisa--lucky you! I love beautiful books--as you say, they're just not made the way they used to be. I sense some inspiration here for you, not only in planting but in your watercolors. I hope you show us some of your work:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lisa,
    I love herbs and herb books.
    This one looks to be beautiful!
    Lucky you!
    Enjoy.
    Being inspired is always so wonderful to me.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. It definitely looks beautiful. I love garden books of all kinds, especially those with beautiful art work. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It' seems to be a real book for bibliophilics. Your gift is great indeed. I like this kind of plant drawings. Wishing you a lot of pleasure reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have his vegetables book and it is equally beautiful and informative. I began growing a couple new varieties from reading the book. I hope the giveaway and your writing about this one will lead more gardening readers to the trio of Staub's books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful book Lisa! Congratulations. The illustrations are really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa....what a beautiful book....the illustrations are exquisite. I do so understand your excitement....for me there is nothing like holding a quality book....and it is even more exciting if it is about wildlife or plants......
    I even felt happy just reading your post.....please paint or draw your herbs and post them....I for one with love to see them

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful book, interesting and beautiful, what more could you possibly want?

    You are one lucky girl, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lisa, Nice of you to share your beautiful new book. I love the illustrations, as they have more personality than ordinary botanical drawings. I can see why you're delighted to receive it, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa: I'm so glad you are enjoying the book and it is just one in the series of three! I love the quirky information included. I am pleased you are delighted and our thanks to Gibb-Smith for making it available!

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...