Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Survival of the Fit

Before I even get going I want to thank Linda Brazill, Each Little World, for sending this Book to me. Home Outside by Julie Messervy is just a wonderful as I thought it might be. I haven't read the entire book as yet, I just received it yesterday, but I can tell you I have 'read' all the pictures. It seems to be a book with great suggestions and ideas. Not the how to but the look see and then some explainations as to why it would be so good. I just love it so far. For a really good review you can read at Pam's Diggng blog. Now as to my nearly frozen stiff garden. I am happy to say that it turned out not to be as bad as it could have been. I have only one tulip that didn't quite like what happened. Blogger won't let me add any more pictures or I would show you more. I guess the ground was warm enough it protected the plants and blooms that were up and about. Since the freeze it has been quite warm, working its way into the upper 50's, so the creeping phlox has begun to bloom with the white tulips.
The varigated Soloman's Seal is up .

The wild vinca is blooming.

The Epimedium is beginning to bloom. I just love this delicate little bloomer. I need to put some in a pot and get it up off the ground so we can see the blooms better.

I hope you all have been having great weather and are looking forward to the weekend.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa.....at last, someone who loves Epimediums.....I am still waiting for mine to flower....I love those tiny blooms.....

    You have a lot happening in your gardening despite the weather changes.....once we get April out of the way, we will be fine......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'm coveting those Soloman's Seal and epimedium! Anything in bloom right now is just such a mood lifter after the long, cold winter...

    I'm seeing "Home Outside" getting reviewed everywhere on blogs over the last week or so - mostly very favorable. I'll be interested to see if you think it's worth buying?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    Glad your cold snap didn't hurt the garden too much. I loved the pictures of the blooms on your last post as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful place can i go there my dear?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you to be the recipient of that beautiful book.
    I'm glad to know the cold temps didn't hurt your garden too much. Aren't the tulips beautiful with the creeping phlox. They're a match made in heaven :)
    You have some wonderful blooms. I'd love to add an epimedium to my garden. The flowers are tiny pieces of perfection.
    Happy Easter Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout-out, Lisa. I know you'll enjoy your new book.

    Whew, it's in the 90s here in Austin today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like Spring in your garden, Lisa! I especially love the white tulips with the creeping phlox. Hope you have a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those epimediums are so delicately beautiful aren't they? No sign of them blooming here yet. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My crocus have popped up, seemingly overnight ... but no flowers yet. You are so far ahead ... even with your cold snap. I'm glad no serious damage was done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheryl, I made sure I posted the Epimedium for you since you said you liked them. Mine are just beginning to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arythrina, I can tell you now that I would recommend that one purchase this book. It has been awhile since I have found a book of this sort that I would actually purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a book right up your alley Lisa! :c) Love seeing all your blooming things, and glad the weather is helping them be even more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Lovely spring is here. I love tulip! So pure, zen and minimal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, everyone is raving about this book. I think Susan/Sustainable has review up too.

    You can't beat white tulips. My species are beginning to come up, but the hybrids won't be around for a while. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa — thanks for the mention! Still not much happening here but it will only take a few warm days for things to start popping. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden survived the freeze very well. The Epimedium looks so beautiful. I love seeing the Solomon's seal as it shoots up. The colours are wonderful. Have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...