Monday, April 6, 2009

Blooming Weather

This spring so far has been a little warmer than usual, great for blooming plants. However that is to change tonight. I decided that since the weather is reverting to winter, with freezes forcast for the next couple of nights, I had to get out and take some pictures of things that are blooming. They might not last much longer.
This Saxifraga Bergenia 'Perfect' is blooming for the first time. I have been so thrilled with this plant. I have tried to grow it several places in the garden but it didn't take until this last attempt. It might have been the 21" of rain last spring that helped get them established.We have a few new tulips blooming. I find these most enchanting. They have wrinkly leaves and only stand about six inches tall. They haven't opened all the way yet because it has been so darn cloudy and cool. I hope they survive the freeze and open wide when the sun does come out. Another shorty but cutie is this red tulip. It is even shorter than the first I have shown you. It has some lovely foliage too. It is spotted with maroon.
The 'Jack Frost' Brunnera is beginning to bloom. Hopefully it is in a protected place where it won't be damaged by the cold.These pretty little white daffodils are not protected.
I can't for the life of me find the tags for all of these plants. I planted this little narcissus several years ago. It just blooms and multiplies. I wish I knew what it was called.
Our white lilac bush has the most buds on it that it has ever produced. I am afraid that the freeze will do away with what looked to be its best show ever developing. The wind is so fierce I don't think covering it would be an option. That might damage the bush itself. We will just have to take our chances.
The ole double daffodils are blooming away. They are interspersed with the blackberries. I hope the blackberries will give them enough protection from the frost/freeze.
Of course the dear sweet violets will not be detered from blooming. They might pout for awhile but they will be back like gangbusters. This is one delicate looking toughie.
I can say goodbye to the Serviceberry tree I would imagine. It is about ready to go to making berries. I hope the freezed doesn't completely do away with its fruit. Many of the birds in the neighborhood like to dine here. I hope they aren't disappointed.
I hope you all have a good week. I will be sitting her fretting about the freeze.

24 comments:

  1. I never saw a tulip like those little red ones! I hope your flowers survive the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an impressive showing of blooms, Lisa. I particularly like that pretty daff pictured under the white one, but all your blooms are beautiful. My Jack Frost Brunnera hasn't made an appearance yet, but that's normal for us.
    I'd be so sad to lose all those lovely serviceberry blossoms.
    I hope the frost won't do too much damage to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a bit further north than me and may get colder for longer, but I have been astounded by the cold and snow that daffodils, tulips and many other things will endure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring is so beautiful in your garden, winter better not ruin it all! Such gorgeous colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the freeze doesn't last long as your garden is too very bright for such nuisances. That's the second time I se a Bergenia. I remember seeing one yesterday evening at a German blogger's website...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lisa....I am not surprised you are worrying about the freeze. You do have some beautiful blooms to come and the blossom is delightful. I do hope it is not as bad as they have forecast....
    I love the red tulips.....they would be perfect for me.....tulips are often blown down here because of the long stems.
    My Bergenia has taken a long time to establish.....it has just come into bud.

    I do hope the lilac is not damaged by the cold....the scent and blooms are lovely in a garden at this time of year...

    Fingers crossed Lisa.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa my dear, you can stop fretting about the bulbs as they can all stand a bit of frost, trust me I'm Dutch. ;-)

    The commercial fruit growers here spray their blossom trees with water when there's a chance of frost. The flowers get encased in ice and are safe that way. After the bad weather has gone, they simply defrost and get on with flowering their little hearts out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many gorgeous flowers already! I like the tulip with the wrinkled leaves - very unusual and pretty!
    You're way ahead of us, my Brunnera Jack Frost has only started to show its foliage...
    Katarina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm fretting right along with you Lisa. This morning, it's only 36, but they are saying tomorrow morning will be around 31. I do so hope they are wrong or at least that there is a good breeze and/or cloud cover to prevent any hard freeze. Pooey. I hate it when old man winter does this once everything is all bloomed out. Crossing all my crossables for you as well...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lisa, So many pretty blooms in your garden...the bergenia is lovely and the tulips delightful! I was fretting with you! I read your comment at May Dreams...and knew exactly how you felt. It was sleeting and there was no way I could lay sheets on top of my blooming flowers...it would crush them! I hope it wasn't as bad as predicted...let us know! gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa, you have some beautiful blooms. I wouldn't worry too much unless the temps are falling into the mid-20's range. The bulbs won't mind the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely collection of spring shots, too early here, plus I can't find the sprouts under the three inches of snow right now:(

    ReplyDelete
  13. These freezes are the pits! Yolanda Elizabet is right about the bulb flowers, they can even take a bit of snow. I love the Tulip with the wavy foliage - it's groovy. I think your white Daffodil might be 'Ice Follies.' I hope your shrubs weren't damaged by the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so much further along than we are. Our snow is gone again but still kind of cold and windy. This is the worst season when everything is fragile and in potential danger!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots of the flowers.
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa such beauies in your Spring garden! I do hope you don't get hit with the frost or the
    (( snow))) that several of my blogging friends are experiencing right now!!hugs NG

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many blooms already, Lisa; I can understand why you're concerned about a freeze. Just got home late last night, and the only new thing blooming I've seen here are the hyacinths. We had a pretty good frost this morning; do you think the hyacinths and daffodils are in danger?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you don't get too bad of a freeze. The tulips and daffodils will probably be fine and their blooming will last for longer. The Bergenia flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa, This weather is treacherous. I'm really sorry I got carried away by some warm-ish weather and actually put a 6 pack of lettuce in the ground. You have a lot more bloom that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's April and weather is very changeable. But I think most of the Spring flowers will survive these ups and downs of warmth and frost...at least I do hope it ;-) !!
    Happy Easter,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, it's now April 9th...4 days after your post. How did your garden fare? I'm interested to know what survived, and I'm sorry if you lost anything...all of your blooms were beautiful. What is the name of the really low to the ground tulip? I'd love some! Also, your bergenia bloom is gorgeous...I hope your brunnera and lilacs don't get ruined...esp. the lilacs...I love those. Are those violets 'wild violets'? I have them all over my back yard and think those purple blooms are sweet; however, these things seed and re=seed like rabbits! I can't get rid of them where I don't want them. Even spraying them w/weed killer doesn't do the job, because they are DEEP rooted and send out long underground roots. Do you have any trouble w/them taking over? If not, yours must not be the same variety as mine.
    Anyway, I hope your garden survived the freeze!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope all your "pretties" survived another cold blast.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jan, the violets in my garden are very invasive. I just love them though. Ask me that in a few weeks when I am out there trying to eradicate them. The best way it to pull them up. You have to be sure to get all the nodes because just a piece of the fleshy part left in the ground will eventually make great plants. Just think, several butterflies use this plant as a food plant for their larva. It makes it a little easier to see them in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lisa, I didn't know butterflies used violets for their larva and loved it so much! Well, I guess I'll have a surplus of butterflies this year;-)

    I have tried getting the nodes but cannot get them all. I've even tried tilling the area, but tiny pieces remain...even after spraying w/weed killer! I suppose it has a 'purpose' in life! I should respect it more, I guess;-)

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...