Monday, November 9, 2009

Mish Mash Monday or Fungus Among Us

We have been out early many mornings lately not wanting to waste any of these beautiful fall days.

We came upon some interesting fungus.  This thing is as big as a softball.  They were growing on the top of a levee we were walking on. 

We weren't the only ones noticing these big ball-like fungus.  Something was eating them.  This one looks like something big took a bite out of it.  A deer perhaps.?  I know that there are many edible mushrooms but I am not the one to tell you which are edible. I don't eat wild mushrooms because there are so many are poisonous.  Wildlife seem to be able to eat even some of the poisonous ones.

We found several eaten right down to the ground.  When I first noticed this I thought it was a piece of styrofoam someone left behind.  Then I realized it was nearly impossible for styrofoam to be here. Of course the wind can deliver the unexpected.

I kicked one over to see what it looked like.  A hat came to mind. 

I hope you all have a wonderful week full of interesting finds.

28 comments:

  1. How interesting. I wonder what creatures eat fungus?
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushrooms sure are fascinating Lisa. With all the rain we had this spring and fall, I've seen some I've never seen before.

    I love the title of this post, and that first photo is so pretty.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been LOTS of them around here as we had such a wet fall. They are truly fascinating to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous sunrise photo!

    We've had several of the same (or quite similar) mushrooms, but I've not taken the time for an ID. My caution with wild mushrooms matches yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you don't need to actually eat mushrooms to see weird things? :-)
    Just kidding.
    Those pictures are beautiful. Are you going to make sketches from them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Lisa absolutely gorgeous. Would it be a puff ball....they release a puff of black when you touch them.

    I believe wood mice and other rodents are partial to fungi.....

    Out of interest how does your allergy to them affect you??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting, I don't believe I've ever seen one that large. That last one does look like a hat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, LOVE your fungus photos, Lisa! It's so interesting to see how the different fungus forms look. The last one, flipped over, kind of looks like one of those "turk's cap" squashes to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love mushrooms, though I never take the time to figure out which ones might be growing in my garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such interesting finds and what a fabulous sky!! Makes you want to stay outside all day ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous sunrise, Lisa! I'm surprised, too, that wildlife can eat many of these fungi that are probably toxic to humans. Hope they don't find them toxic. It's certainly been the season for fungi--all that rain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's just wild. The second photo looked to me like a toad. The last one like an upside down muffin just out of the pan. It must be all the rain you've had.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fungus is very interesting. Isn't it strange that something like that springs from decay? I like the first one best, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are neat. Beautiful. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you have the right idea, Lisa. Kick it, don't eat it. Something eats the mushrooms here too, ones that I am pretty sure are poisonous to humans, those red topped ones. We did used to live where there were morels and did eat them, yummy! :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Lisa,
    These are very interesting. I think photgraphing fungi would be fun! I have a field guide for iding and I keep thinking one of these days I will focus on them.
    Happy Indian Summer gorgeous sunrise!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen big shrooms like that out in the woods, but never any that have been munched on. I wonder if deer are eating them?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marnie, I suspect this was a deer nibbling this mushroom. It looks like a few big bites. I have seen some that look like there was a rodent or smaller creature nibbling on it.

    Vero, I guess I could try to draw that big brain of a fungus. I hadn't thought to do so. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheryl, When my allergies get to acting up my head, sinuses actually, swells up. I get drainage down my throat that makes me have a hackey cough, then my ears fill up. I have to take meds to keep all down or my ears fill with fluid then I get a sinus infection if I am not careful. The worst case screnerio is when my throat tightens up and I can barely swallow or breathe. This has happened only a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are some seriously funky fungi. (I just love the sound of that.) I've noticed that some of the fungi in my garden has bites missing from it. I think it is squirrels or raccoons munching mine, but you're probably right that the ones you found out in the field were on the deer menu.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic sunrise~~the best gift of fall and winter is the return of rosy sunrises! I love fungus. I've been reading parts of Paul Stamet's book Mycelium Running (How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World)...fascianting. I wish I knew which were edible and which weren't! gail

    ReplyDelete
  22. That big ball of fungus is so unique! Love the first shot so so much Lisa:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lisa what a glorious golden sky!
    What interesting fungi!! I suppose mother nature provides what the wildlife needs.Great photos..you had your ~fairie hat~ on that day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They make me think of roasted marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting post as for me. I'd like to read a bit more concerning that theme.
    BTW look at the design I've made myself A level escorts

    ReplyDelete
  27. interesting fungi! we used to get something similar to the hat shaped one in our garden at our old house. if you disturbed it it spit out a cloud of dusty spores which smelled. i seriously didn't like it at all.

    ReplyDelete