Friday, May 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - May 2015

I am happy to report that this May has started out so very nice and it continues with a good variety of blooms to share on Bloom Day. Bloom day as most of us know is encouraged by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

Now follow me into the garden for a look at what I find blooming today. This is the back gate and you know what they say about back gate visitors, they are the best of friends.
Clematis are giving a nice show here this spring.
I have always wanted a clematis that climbs up a tall trellis. I thought the one above would do the trick but it only climbs about 4 feet then it promptly squats and blooms. I forgive it though since it is so darned pretty. 
I have also always wanted one to climb a small tree. Ramona is such a good sport. She was on a shorter trellis and always balled up so this spring I took the trellis away. She didn't mind and she wound herself up the Japanese Red Maple where she is blooming happily. 
Now this Clematis I have nothing to complain about. I bought her for her name, 'Patricia Ann Fretwell'.  She climbed up to the top of this trellis and puts on a show each spring. If your peek around the left side and look across the garden you can see a few irises blooming and an amsonia.
Speaking of iris, I have a few scattered around the garden.
This Japanese iris is 'Gull wings'. It is so pretty and quite prolific. 
If you look across Kate who is having it's best spring bloom ever you can see this big white bearded iris. 
I have no idea what its name is. It came from my daughter's friend. These are huge and I am sure they wish they had more sun as they flop toward the sunlight. I have to stake them yearly to keep them off the ground. The heads are so big they just can stay upright.

Then the other side of the coin are the much smaller pale yellow iris that has a sweet little pinkish geranium blooming at it's feet. 
A couple other iris colors. These were also gifts.
It isn't just herbaceous plants blooming right now. I have several shrubs that are blooming their limbs off. I am showing only a small section of this Arrowhead Viburnum. It is just full of these lovely blooms. This shrub is huge and it is a bird and bee magnet.
A couple of my favorite weigelias are first this red blooming shrub. It is so old and gnarly looking when it isn't blooming I have threatened to take it out. Yet when it blooms like this it always makes me melt and I can't bring myself to dig it out. One of these years it will retire itself and I will miss it.
Secondly this young whippersnapper shows off all summer. First with these lovely pink blooms. Then it continues to be pretty with the green and white foliage. 
The Buckeye blooms shortly after the hummingbirds arrive. They just love the tubular blooms. 
This Ninebark always puts on a blooming show. 
And then there is the Baptisia that I planted last spring. It's pale yellow blooms look real pretty with the Tricolor beech tree and willow behind it.
In the fairy garden the fairy garden there are even blooms. Fairy Gardens you ask. Why yes, but they are a subject for another post. 
Thanks for hanging with me on this rather long post. Happy Garden Bloom Day to all of you. I hope your garden is blooming up a storm.


13 comments:

  1. I do so love the little fairy garden with its teeny little flowers, so pretty. I could live there quite happily :)

    The white iris are beautiful, I especially like the Japanese one.
    I think they are stunning plants.

    Your garden is looking splendid Lisa...........and those clematis, well they have done you proud.

    Have a lovely weekend.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cheryl. I hope you have a great weekend with plenty of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa - I've just 'hopped' over from Cheryl's blog.

    I just love Clematis and every garden should have at least one fairy in it.

    See you again ... thanks

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Clematis are lovely. I need to find and plant one. The Iris are stunning, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you had so many clematis, Lisa! They're all beautiful, but the last double pink one is gorgeous! Love the peachy iris, too, which reminds me that Beckie gave me a start of a similar one--I hope it blooms this year. One of these springs I am definitely going to have to come down to see your garden in its spring finery. And, no I don't remember giving you any irises:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful selection of Cleatis, plus the Irises! I didn't realize hummingbirds would be attracted to buckeye blooms, but that does make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is paradise! What an astounding collection of blooms.

    I want to paint all of them! And especially that back gate!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, your garden is gorgeous! cant believe how much more is in bloom than just a week ago. Love all the clematis and wish I could get them to grow. I did give you the yellow and the peach ones. you know how my memory is-I had to see them to remember. I would love a start of the white sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course I will give you a start of the white iris. Next time we meet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous garden ~ must take a lot of work! Beautiful photos!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have so many of the plants I love too! Buckeye and I just purchased 'Gulls Wing'. So glad to see it is vigorous! Happy Bloom Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Lisa… your garden is just beautiful just now! I do love May in the garden and after being behind my Scottish garden in growing terms your plants have stormed way ahead of mine now!

    I do love your clematis and have a few buds at the moment – I’m learning to like this plant a lot. Iris is a plant I’m never completely sure of but that white one looks stunning and the yellow and white one amazing!

    A belated happy garden bloom day to you! We were on hols for GBBD and rain and winds made it difficult to get photos when we got back.

    I’m loving my garden just now too and must get out with a camera but I’m getting distracted by the Chelsea Flower Show tv coverage (you might get to see gardens via their website through link on my current post) and have unearthed a garden visit from last year’s hols to run alongside it – what fun ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Lisa, your garden is so gorgeous! It must be a joy to hang out there with your cup of tea, enjoying the colors and designs, the butterflies and hummingbirds, the fairies ... :)
    I especially love that Gull Wings Iris. And the peachy-colored one looks good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...