Friday, December 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - December 2017

Since we have had a mostly mild December so far I actually have an outdoor bloom to show today. This is the first in a few years that I have had an outdoor bloom. Hmmmm on closer inspection maybe I should call these buds. They formed after a cold spell when temps went above normal.
 The Lonicera Sempervirens has two clumps of these bud/blooms on it. As you can see it is in protest though. The leaves have turned yellow and the blooms will soon freeze off for the winter. 
Inside this is the first winter in some time that I haven't a Orchid bloom to share. The orchids have plenty of buds. Maybe next month.
There is one air plant that has a bloom or two. They are so intriguing. This one looks sort of like an octopus when it isn't blooming but the pretty purple buds open with the flower. You can almost see the pollen. You can see at least 2 spent flowers on it and one yet to come.
This time of year wouldn't be the same without an amaryllis in bud or bloom. This one is named Minerva. It is the most odd acting amaryllis I have ever had. The blooms aren't lasting very long. They are sure pretty while they do last. It has had 5 blooms so far and still has a bud. I can't complain...can I? I do wish they would last longer. 
Here where we have so much frost and cold tho it is nice to have a few blooms to warm us.
Do you have any blooms this winter?  Please do share with everyone over at Carol's blog who hosts the Bloom Day on the 15th of every month here. When you go there you can also see what is blooming all over the world. 

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful Amaryllis!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    and
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing that the Honeysuckle is blooming and has colorful foliage at the same time! How beautiful! The air plant blooms and buds are pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the unexpected rebellion of some plants - win or lose - they just go for it. I have an oddball in my garden too this month, which really should have flowered months ago. So strange... I keep speculating on what causes such variances, but have not yet come up with any truly good sounding explanations. Probably never will, but I still enjoy their erratic behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely love to find something blooming or even growing at a time you don't expect.

      Delete
  4. I got one of the Minerva amaryllis this year. It has not bloomed yet but the stalk is getting taller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be interested to see if your Minerva grows and blooms like mine did. It bloomed quick too.

      Delete
  5. Love your amaryllis, Lisa! I have an unsuccessful experience in growing amaryllis, yours is a pretty one.
    Some indoors flowers are in bloom on my windowsill.
    Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing you have buds and color in Dec. outdoors! No flowers here but we are enjoying a brief warming trend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always a joy to find unexpected blooms. I had a number of blooms till just recently, when an unexpected snowfall zapped the last of fall foliage and blooms. My Lonicera is quite dormant now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see some blooms Lisa.
    I have Mahonia flowering and a queen bumble visited the other day when the sun came out.
    December has been cold with frost and fleeting shows of snow.
    I cannot do much in the garden as it is really wet.

    Hope all is well with you and that you received my letter sent several weeks ago :))

    Have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Lisa - it was such a delight to see your honeysuckle blooming. Things that bloom in December are rare in my part of the world. Think my Christmas cactus is starting to open...need to check it out. Take care and have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Lonicera sempervirens are very hardy! Mine hasn't bloomed in months.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas and Happy, Healthy New Year to you,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice Amaryllis, I'll have to get some going in the greenhouse...

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely to have some outdoor color at this time of year! I'm not very good at house plants so I just stick to outside gardening.

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...