Sunday, May 27, 2018

Nichols Arboretum University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

I will tell you right now if you like peonies you will appreciate this post. I have lots of pictures. I will for the most part let the pictures do the talking.
 It has been scorching hot here. We had hoped as we drove North to Michigan we would find it cooler. It was not to be as they are having record breaking or near record temperatures. When we stepped into the garden my first thought was oh we have missed everything.
We looked down the long path where the herbaceous peonies are planted and realized we were just a week or so too early for them. My what a sight this would be with all of these blooming.
I did find a few blooming.



As we strolled further in things began to look much better. I noticed that they had under planted the tree peonies with wildflowers. Here I recognize Golden Alexander and Geranium Maculatum. 
The big draw for us and the other early birds were these tree peonies backed by the huge golden and orange Rhododendrons. 
I also read a sign that said this Laurel Hill trail was being renovated. I guess that is why a lot of these tree peonies didn't have name tags.
No matter because they are gorgeous no matter what the names are. 

This yellow one was one of my favorites. It did have a tag, 'High Noon'. It was a tall plant, maybe 4' tall. I must say I have never seen tree peonies this tall.
A close up of it 'High Noon's' flowers.
'Leda' is the name of this pretty girl. 
'Satin Rouge' a French variety. 
This purple to lavender to white one is my very favorite. It had huge blooms and the color is perfect in my eyes. The name gives it quite the spirit too, ' Guardian of the Monastery'. This was also a very tall plant. 
As you can see even though we missed the big show we had plenty to admire.
I hope you were able to get out this weekend and enjoy the day before it got too hot.










23 comments:

  1. It might just be me, but no pictures are shown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOps, more to come. Sorry about this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the photos! And they are gorgeous. I am a true peony lover. The tree peonies are over in my garden, but there is much more to come. The large buds look promising. They will flower next week. I have never seen a name tag on a tree peony. Here they are just pink, white or red. All beautiful. Groetjes Hetty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hetty, I read your blog about the upcoming tour your garden will be a part of. I wanted to wish you well, leave a comment and I couldn't see where to comment. Good luck. Your garden looks ready for company. I hope the deer don't eat your beautiful lupines and roses.

      Delete
  4. That walkway would be an incredible experience, but you certainly saw a lot of different Peonies nevertheless. It was 96 yesterday. Last year we did not hit 90 until late September. I went out weeding for a couple of hours at 6 am but had to come in as my glasses were steaming up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, even here in Michigan it is HOT. Record heat here. I thought we were going north to the cool air. Ha...it followed us. UGH...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great peonies. I'm still waiting for ours to open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely place and wonderful to visit ~ Beautiful floral photos!

    Peaceful Memorial Day to you,
    C & Z

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many gorgeous peonies. Thanks for braving the heat to share these with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous! I love peonies, but I wish they would bloom longer. My peonies were full of blooms this year, but it didn't take long for the blooms to turn brown around the edges. I'm not sure if it was the heat or our dry conditions. Record heat here, too--we hit a new high yesterday at 97!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for visiting and commenting ~ hope you are enjoying your lovely garden ~

    Happy Times to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores
    aka (A Creative Harbor.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the pictures!!! I went through all of them before even reading the text. What a wonderful place. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great images of such a beautiful flower, yes what a pity you missed the full show as that would have been stunning! High Noon is my fav here. I'd like to say I could send you some rain from Scotland but no can do just now. Our gardens too are in much need of rain. Forecast is for rain and lightening, it would be great to clear the air and get my pond topped up! Best wishes to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I do LOVE Peonies and I did appreciate this post! My Peonies are underwhelming this year (long story), so I'm appreciating all the great posts about them. We're just getting over that terrible record-breaking heat wave, too. Now the weather is perfect and I am spending more time in the garden. Yay. Enjoy your garden, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to have you visit and comment again ~ Wonder if you have read or seen the movie about Mary Reynolds ~ youngest landscaper to win a gold medal at the Chelsea Gardens in London ~ check it and let me know.

    Happy Times to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Carol, It seems that I have read about Mary Reynolds. I will have to look up this video.

      Delete
    2. I see that she has written a book about her view of healing the earth. I am all for that. I am not a purist about using native plants but I sure do incorporate them when I can.

      Delete
  15. Wonderful tree peony Lisa. It's my dream, but I know our climate in not suitable for them. I have herbaceous peonies but they don't flower. I think you have had a nice time in Arboretum.
    Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all of those peonies, especially the yellow tree peony. I had an internship after college in a peony garden. They are so cheerful. What a wonderful garden to visit..even if it was at University of Michigan. :) (Most of my family went to Michigan State)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh ~ so glad you checked out Mary Reynolds ~ thought might enjoy her concepts ~ lovely garden you ~ great design!

    Happy Weekend to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Lisa,
    thanks for sharing these lovely pictures! I really like peonies and grow some in my garden. They are such beautiful plants and if they weren´t becoming that big, I would certainly have more of them.
    Best wishes,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...