It has been sitting in this planter for many years. Growing on itself.
If you look into the top of the plant you can see there were at least 3 big plants.
And if you look closely into the middle you can see a tiny start just inside the lip of the shields.
You can see how it is growing onto itself all around the shields.
I have been thinking about different ways I could mount this plant. Finally I came up with a plan. I wanted to find the right limb to attach this plant to.
I found the limb I thought would work. My DB helped me bring it home this spring. It has sat on the patio all summer. I haven't been able to work up the courage to split this fern. Today I decided it must be the day. My DB cut the limb to fit into the pot. I stuffed it into the pot anchoring it with potting soil.
When it came time to split the fern couldn't bring myself to use the saw on it. Luckily it easily split into two plants when my DB and I each grabbed a side and pulled. It was actually getting so heavy it was about to fall into two pieces anyway. This is one reason why I was spurred on to remounting the fern. I decided to be happy with two plants and not saw a third piece off. I mounted the two on the limb. It will have the rest of the summer to acclimate to it's new digs.
I won't rest easy about it until I see it perking up after a good rain. I must say I like the more natural look of the fern on the limb. It looks sculptural. It has plenty of space to grow now. I hope it is as happy about it's new situation as I am.