Monday, August 3, 2015

Staghorn Split

 You see I have this huge Staghorn Fern that I have had for quite a few years. I am not even sure when I received it from my Sister as a gift. The first mention of it in my Garden Journal is in 2004. Then it was small enough to be dunked in a bucket since it sat in a stainless steel basket.

It has been sitting in this planter for many years. Growing on itself.
If you look into the top of the plant you can see there were at least 3 big plants.
And if you look closely into the middle you can see a tiny start just inside the lip of the shields.
You can see how it is growing onto itself all around the shields.
I have been thinking about different ways I could mount this plant. Finally I came up with a plan. I wanted to find the right limb to attach this plant to. 
I found the limb I thought would work. My DB helped me bring it home this spring. It has sat on the patio all summer.  I haven't been able to work up the courage to split this fern. Today I decided it must be the day. My DB cut the limb to fit into the pot. I stuffed it into the pot anchoring it with potting soil.
When it came time to split the fern couldn't bring myself to use the saw on it. Luckily it easily split into two plants when my DB and I each grabbed a side and pulled. It was actually getting so heavy it was about to fall into two pieces anyway. This is one reason why I was spurred on to remounting the fern.  I decided to be happy with two plants and not saw a third piece off.  I mounted the two on the limb.  It will have the rest of the summer to acclimate to it's new digs.  
I won't rest easy about it until I see it perking up after a good rain. I must say I like the more natural look of the fern on the limb. It looks sculptural.  It has plenty of space to grow now. I hope it is as happy about it's new situation as I am.



15 comments:

  1. That is the size of specimens in botanic gardens. Kudos for taking a chance and dividing it. Still an impressive plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is one huge staghorn! It looks great on the limb--what a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA. LOOK AT THAT STAGHORN!!! my mind is blown! That is amazing. Truly.


    And look how pretty and fabulous YOU look with it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, I only put myself into the picture to show scale. It is difficult to show how large or small plants are without something or someone close by. I didn't feel none too pretty. I was hot sweaty and dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvelous, both you and the fern. Thank you for the idea for what to do with a staghorn that's been hanging around for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I must say that I found this utterly fascinating....ferns on branches...of course! How natural is that! I have never heard of a staghorn fern, but totally see why it has that name! I do hope it's happy and thrives, I'm sure it will. You now have me wanting to do the same with the ferns that grow in the cracks of my wall, as you say, yours does now look totally sculptural!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one big staghorn fern! And a beautiful way of displaying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, now… I have loved dividing many, many plants over the years but I too would be nervous about this split! Such a special plant (I think) lucky you to grow it in your garden (does it stay outdoors all year). You were a brave gardener indeed, well done, now your fern can really spread its horns ;-) I love the natural setting it has now too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fascinating and beautiful plant. A fine job of dividing and resettling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so interesting. I loved hearing about how you got the fern apart. I've always wanted one, but alas, I don't think it would work here. Too hot.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa girl that is AMAZING !!
    When I first saw "staghorn" I thought "tree' .. wow on this fern and huge wonderful it looks mounted over the wood .. it is fabulous !
    Well done you !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is just amazing! I like the large limb you chose. I had an opportunity to buy a stag horn fern earlier this year. It was mounted on top of a pot shaped like a man's head, and it was quirky and quite striking. I was hunting for something specific that day, so I passed it by. Later, I thought I would come back to purchase it, and of course it was gone. Now I am keeping my eye out for one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is really cool! I've never grown anything like that but have always admired them when I see them. So glad it split easily.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love what you did with that Staghorn Fern! How is it doing since then?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, it is totally fabulous! What a wonderful problem to have: Trying to find something sturdy enough to support your staghorn fern. I can only hope that mine does nearly as well.

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...