Monday, August 17, 2015

This Summer's Planters

Jason over at Garden in a City was discussing the planters he made this summer. He didn't sound too pleased about his and was asking what we had success with this summer. I must admit right off that I didn't fill all of my pots this year. First it rained so much I was not inspired to get out between rains to plant much. Then it got hot and I was away from home quite a bit so it all worked out.
If you look out the patio doors you can see most of my planters are specimen plants. The specimen plants mostly have to come inside for the winter. They are years old. Good friends that hang out here all year. 
One of my favorites that won't be coming in this winter is this pot with the Golden Lime Begonia and Gartenmeister Fuschia. The Golden Lime Begonia has about taken over. There is actually another plant in there but it isn't even visible from this vantage.
You have to come down the path toward the patio to even get a glimpse of it as you can see. I am going to remove that poor little grass, actually it is a creeping Broad - leaved Sedge 'Snow Cap', and plant it in the garden someplace. I had visions that it would be my spiller in this pot. It didn't creep over the edge of the pot much at all. It seems that this pot was all about the begonia.
Most of the rest of my pots are tropicals. Like this night blooming Cereus,
'Black Truffles' Begonia,
Pteris Cretica 'Roweri' with and under planting of 'String of Pearls'. The minature hostas in the pot in front of the Roweri stay outside all winter. They are quite happy doing so. This pot holds what was actually one plant that I divided this spring. 
Then there are the Orchids, Rabbit's Foot Fern, which have to come inside.
The planter behind the Rabbit's Foot Fern doesn't come inside. It has some Carex Hachijoensis 'Evergold', a tiny Holly start and some unnamed tropical vine that has grown great guns this summer.
You can see where I am going here. I have several pots that I consider outdoor pots that have small plants that will remain outside. 




While I love annuals and I say they do add a lot of color to the garden and especially in pots. I just don't have a whole lot of them.
I do have several spots of marigolds. I know don't squench up your nose. Jason makes a good plea for their addition to the garden. They are stalwart.  
So before you diss these little beauties . Remember 
they don't mind being ignored whether in a pot or in the ground as I use them. They mix well with others.
They give you a shot of color where all else fails. 
 They just don't give up.
Do you have any pots you are particularly pleased with this summer? Or do you have any stalwart plants that others might not appreciate?  Do share.







25 comments:

  1. Those black truffle begonias are amazing. I love all your pots!! The chickens!!

    There is so much joy and love in your garden. So beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me smiling here re people turning their noses up at certain plants!
    Your pots look lovely, I'm really loving all your planters and garden art too...WOW! Gosh, the wreath-like arrangement with colourful pots in is lovely, and I spotted fairies too....love your chicken planters! And of course I too love marigolds...even though the slugs devour them!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa: It was great to meet you last week! I always have a mix of successes and flops with my planters each year. This year, Angelonia is my new favorite annual for pots. I have purple ones growing with orange Marigolds, which, I agree, are stalwarts. Marigolds aren't my favorites, but they do help repel critters and they attract butterflies. I used to grow tons of various Coleus plants and Impatiens in pots, but in recent years I've had problems with Downy Mildew, especially in a year like this when we had a cool June. I really like your fairy gardens. I'm trying to decide what to do with my hardy succulents in pots during the winter--cover them and leave them out, or put them in the garage. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth, It was great to meet you too. I will have to get your blog onto my reader so I won't miss anything you post. The succulents you see in these photos are not hardy. I have to bring them into my house. So if you have hardy succulents yet are concerned that they won't withstand your winters maybe you should at least put them into your garage if you have room. I don't think the succulents that I have here would even survive in my unheated garage even though it is attached to the house. Good luck with what ever you decide to do. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, didn't mean to post so soon. Also wanted to say, love the begonia/fuschia combo and glad to see another marigold booster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that lime begonia! Can you plant it in the ground at the end of the season or do you bring it inside? I'd love to add some hardy begonias to my shade garden. You know I like to plant lots of annuals, especially flowering ones in pots. My go-to stalwarts are the Supertunias, Victoria Blue salvia, and Angelonia. The salvia and angelonia especially can stand up to about anything summer throws at them. I'm one of those who's always kind of dismissed marigolds; I plant them in my vegetable garden, but you and Jason have convinced me I need more of these in other parts of the garden. You should have added your new planter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your pots look great! I especially love the golden begonia. In my garden I am not creative enough or attentive enough to have pots. Like you they are just tenders that I put outside. Begonias are my favorites for pots. I have a red and pink one. If we ever see each other again I'd love to swap cuttings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa girl you will laugh at this but your very first picture had me totally in love with your clay chicken pots !
    They are gorgeous ! ( I have a love hate thing going on with chickens .. real ones scare me but pot ones are too cool to me .. I know .. I am a nutter : )
    The pots that survived this season the best for me ? two that flanked the stairs of the deck that were made up of a burgundy spike, old fashioned red geraniums and beautiful white euphorbia (this was a cheat because they came from Home Depot!)
    I have never seen Black Truffles begonia before it is stunning .. I have a silver kind mixed with black mini potato vine that has survived me this season too ... that one I made !
    I really like your mini plantings .. so are you a zone 5b ? and mine would survive planting in a pot, through winter too you think ? I want to lift the back garden hosta and pot them because the slugs laced them so badly.
    I like marigolds too ... I am not a plant snob ! haha
    My main thing is potting herbs for the season and drying them .. those I can't do without .. so in the end I guess my pots have been successful.
    Loved seeing your plants & pots girl !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those begonias! You must come visit. I am not far from Logee's. Begonia mecca! Anyway, I scaled back on pots as well this year. I do overwinter the ones with the Eucomis in them and this year I did some late pots with heliotrope. The heliotrope smells divine. Love it near the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lisa, I like your little fairy garden! I also like marigolds, though I did not plant any this year. But chances are they will be in my garden next year, though, like you, I don't plant a lot of annuals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unique planters and wonderful garden ~ Great photos shared ~ thanks, xox

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some beautiful flowers here. I need to think about where my plants will go when I bring them in. They will likely take over our wee humble abode!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just bought some annuals and put them in nice pots to spruce up the garden before a recent tour. My containers tend to be houseplants brought outdoors like yours or things I pot up and then permanently plant in the garden at the end of the season. I think I just don't want to add any extra work and watering on top of general garden maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have some pots I'm pleased with but they are rapidly going past their prime. Time to get some fall plants and pumpkins to fill them for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am also ready for fall. I am craving some cool rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi LIsa, your pots are inspiring. That Golden Lime Begonia is amazing. I don't do many pots as I'm too lazy to care for them after the first week, but it always seems there is one aggressor that dominates the container.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa ~ Thanks for coming by again ~ Love to have you visit and comment!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa ~ Thanks for coming by again ~ Love to have you visit and comment!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa girl you and I are totally in agreement about the dreaded Bittersweet vine aka Medusa ... for years I have had to get on a ladder and trim that beast out !
    My garden PA hates it too .. so I have had it and will be cutting it and the digging out part is going to be a major job ... I think I need dynamite actually ! LOL .. I have to take a picture of how it is wrapped around the arbor ... looks like ancient arms for heaven sake .. ugh !
    I am thinking clematis too ... so we will have to see how we both do with this mission eh ? LOL
    Take care!
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pots are a valuable addition to any garden. Splashes of colour for the summer months.
    The begonia is certainly an attention seeker Lisa......
    I must admit to finding them hard work now.....I have way too many. Watering each day during the summer months sometimes feels more like a chore than a pleasure. I do love them though:)

    My favourite this year are the cape gooseberry. They are looking lovely at the moment with their little orange lanterns.

    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...