Friday, July 15, 2016

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - July

Good day and welcome to Greenbow's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day brought to you with the urging of Carol at May Dreams Garden who started this meme years ago. It has been a nice way to keep a pictorial record of what is in bloom at the 15th of each month. However if you follow me you know I am not all that good at keeping up with scheduled projects. I guess that is what happens to you when you retire. 
The above Swamp Milkweed I planted this spring is doing quite well. After the initial shock of being planted in a not so swampy area two out of the three plants I planted are blooming up a storm. of course the milkweed bugs came out in force to partake of them. They don't seem to do damage and they are a lively color in the garden so I don't worry about them. 
I have a couple of pots blooming up a storm. Do they count as bloom day plantings? Somehow a planter to me shouldn't really count because they are set up for the perfect conditions to grow and bloom. 
I like them anyway. My  planters have had a difficult time this year. I didn't think we were going on vacation and just as I got them planted my DB decided we needed to go. So who am I to argue? Off we went and a dear friend watered for me. I will have to do a post just about pots. I did a bang up job of filling about every pot I own. 
The last of the daylilies are blooming. I mean this is the last one on this clump. 
Here (above) we have a few more buds. 
The last of the red ones out front are blooming here in the background and the Rudebeckia tribola is begining to bloom. 
A few of the tall lilies are blooming. 
I just love these tiger lilies. 
The above lily looks a lot like stargazer but it has no scent. It makes me wonder.
The hardy hibiscus is starting to bloom. It looks like the dreaded Japanese Beetles have been after some of the blooms. 
The last of the hydrangeas are blooming too.
The ever beautiful Strawberry Vanilla Hydrangea that always reminds me of the dear friends that gave it to me has yet to hit it's peak. I can't wait to see the strawberry pink tinge. 
The crocosmia is blooming profusely. As you can see Lucifer is trying to dominate the path along with the hosta blooms. 
This more orangey colored crocosmia has to be kept under control due to it's wish to take over this end of the flower bed.  To me it is worth it because I love to cut blooms for bouquets. They do a dash of drama. 
Last but not least a flower that I can never remember the name of but it blooms up a storm even though it doesn't get enough sun to keep it upright. 
So that is about it for this month. There are more things blooming but I figure I have swamped you with a few too many pictures as it is. I will list below that which I haven't shown you. 
Please join me by posting about your blooming plants.  If you don't have any right now you can go to Carol's here and get a lot of inspiration.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Other Blooms:
Spiderwort
Russian Sage
Lamium
Hostas
Weigelia
Pink and White Tall Garden Phlox
Black and Blue Salvia
Wendy's Wish Salvia
Cat mint
Pink Monarda
Tomatoes
Cleome
Beauty Berry Shrub
Joe Pie Weed
Dicentra formosa
Heuchera





15 comments:

  1. A wealth of blooms!!! We have a bunch of milkweed which has just self-seeded, but haven't seen a monarch butterfly in a few years. There are however little orangey ones all over the plants. I'm quite fond of the plant - the smell and the beauty and the pods and fluff as they go by. While your daylilies bid adieu, this is THE time of year for mine. I have no luck at all with pots. I gave up on them years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have the mulkweed beetles. I find them a little disturbing but as you say they don't seem to do any real harm. You have a wonderful selection of blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting to see if what I think is the milkweed I planted really is:) I also planted a Crocosmia this year, and now I can't remember where I planted it--I certainly hope I didn't accidentally pull it out in a weeding frenzy! Your 'Vanilla Strawberry' looks like it is thriving. Mine is just starting to bloom, and like you, I always think of Cheryl and Stewart when I see it. Just got back from spending all week in D.C. and have yet to put together a Bloom Day post--it may take awhile. I was going to ask the neighbor girl to water for me, but Mr. Procrastinator said he'd do it, and I am happy to report everything is still alive and well here, so he did a good job:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your lilies and can't wait to plant more. I planted about 5 varieties and they have just started blooming. I also plan to plant crocosmia. It is very popular here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Evening, Lisa :-) We had rain (as you might guess) for GBBD so I couldn’t get out to take photos. However, it’s the end of July’s garden blooms I want to check out and record this year ;-)

    As for your garden, your blooms have certainly blown up a storm of colour and flower shapes – very nice. Flowering in common with you I have a lonesome lily (netty’s pride), catmint, a pink monarda, heucheras and a dwarf tomato. Ooops, and I’ve a crocosmia (Emily McKenzie) tuber still in my potting shed – I must check that out! I’ve been checking out your milkweed bugs as they look like our common red soldier beetle that I was taking photos of today. From my searching of images I see your bug is listed as a milkweed beetle. I had fun looking at all the images. Although I love all your lily blooms, my favourite shot has to be of your bug decorated, milkweed. Enjoy the rest of your weekend :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous lilies. I'd like to get some tiger lilies started here. I've seen hummingbirds at them in a garden in town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you have tons of things blooming. I think I forgot about Bloom Day because not too much is happening in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magnificent ~ what a gorgeous garden and delightful photography~

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so good to be in your garden today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to see your milkweed. I bought a plant at the garden bloggers fling in Asheville and it is huge but there are never many blooms. I do like it though and ordered some from Monarch Watch. I read where it does not do well to compete for sun and space so trying to plant it has been a challenge. You must have a great spot for it to have such a pretty bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh such beautiful flowers you have. I am envious. I have only green. Thanks for sharing such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always have such a wide variety of blooms and colors! Love the lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Crocosmias must be the stars in your garden right now. I don't have any in my garden, but I've always favored their bright colors! Your Lilies are gorgeous, too. I'm catching up with commenting/blogging after travelling for several weeks. It feels nice to be home and enjoying some down time in the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa girl that pink milkweed is stunning ! I have just the regular orange one and it even seems a little picky ... I'll have to think of the pink one for next year ... we are always thinking of next year eh ? haha
    Your day lilies are fabulous girl ... mine aren't so much really even though I have day lily ally between the houses ... they don't really do much for me .. maybe I have to shake things up a bit with some different ones ?
    I love that RED one .. now that is a show stopper !
    Rain ... what the heck is that ? we had a few drops today and it was just a teaser ... seems like we have the same weather girl ... fingers crossed maybe August might try to be kinder to us maybe ? PLEASE !!! LOL
    Take care girl !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful blooms - so much color! That was definitely one of the peak times for color in your gardens! Thanks for sharing them with us.
    I used to have a Swamp Milkweed but it never showed up again. But, all the Butterfly Weed (orange milkweed) is doing great. I have one Common Milkweed and its leaves get completely devoured by and army of Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillars - quite a site to behold. I don't know how that plant lives year to year! I like seeing Milkweed Bugs, too - they add a splash of bright color and, amazingly, don't seem to damage or weaken the plant.

    ReplyDelete

New Blogger, Old Blogger

     All I can say it is difficult to deal with change. This new Blogger format is not as user friendly in my opinion. I guess I will get us...